• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Irvin 1942 with strange zipper

entertainment

I acquired this ELC Irvin in size 42 and it is in great shape and fits well.
The thing that I find strange is that the big tooth of the Eastman-marked zipper (at the bottom on the left side in the photos below) is plastic, and the zipper has plastic reinforcing of the cloth tape at the bottom too. Everything else looks right, but I have a little bit of doubt. I did see a mention of "plastic-y bits" on an ELC Irvin zipper in another thread if I remember correctly. When would this jacket have been made?

IMG_1709.JPG
IMG_1712.JPG
IMG_1710.JPG
IMG_1711.JPG

Smithy

I had to run and have a look at mine but it doesn't have a plastic tooth, mine is metal. I bought mine new from ELC in 2007 if that helps.

jack31916

Mine BOB Irvin had the plastic tooth. Terrible and very cheap looking. Replaced this zipp with an original one...

John Lever

I think Riri accidently made a large batch of zips with plastic tabs in the early 2000 's. Most folk won't touch these jackets.

John Lever

Sorry typo.
Won't touch.
The pastic tab just puts many people off. The skins are also of a less desireable type.

Smithy

So do we know when these were used or was it a bit all over the shop?

I purchased mine (a 1940 Pattern) new from ELC in August 2007 and it has no plastic bits (either teeth or reinforcements) on the zipper whatsoever. It seems they used plastic both before mine and after mine so I'm wondering if there was rhyme or reason to this or if I hit a lucky window.

John Lever

So do we know when these were used or was it a bit all over the shop?

I purchased mine (a 1940 Pattern) new from ELC in August 2007 and it has no plastic bits (either teeth or reinforcements) on the zipper whatsoever. It seems they used plastic both before mine and after mine so I'm wondering if there was rhyme or reason to this or if I hit a lucky window.
I think Early to mid 2000's. There was general outrage at the time. The period is before Broken grain and long after curly merino, the fleece is orange/red and the leather is spongy.