• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Irvin 1942 with strange zipper

Pilot

50F1E246-5E40-4DA9-8D79-D8F1A6FD63FC.jpeg

Early 2000... untouched , no plastic teeth, but plastic tape...Very soft hide ( no cracks, no scuffing, not balding), not spongy.

Southoftheborder

Actually the teeth weren't plastic anywhere but the male feed part of the zip was. I don't think I have any pictures of it. Riri make very good zips and this was well made as you you'd expect but just a bit odd with the practical but off period plastic feed instead of brass. It had a period type puller which wasn't marked Riri as I recall.

An Eastman G1 I bought also unworn and brand new from eBay a little later also had a Riri zip like this but with a Riri marked puller and also one of those plastic feeds. The experience with the the Irvin allowed me to date it to about the same time. The strange thing about that one was that like the Irvin it zipped up the European way. Which was bloody odd for a top of the range repro US jacket. I moved that on quickly. But it seems to me that ELC did and do have a pretty cavalier attitude about some things.

Attachments

• P1240009.JPG
    P1240009.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:

Micawber

Micawber: We need to start an exclusive club for the owners of these rare jackets.
That picture makes it look so much worse than in real life!

But I worry so much when women and children point and snigger at that small piece of unmentionable, not to mention the ginger curlies and spongy skin, it tends to frighten my horses too. Do you think I can get counselling on the National Health Service? ;)

Last edited:

blackrat2

Grant great looking jacket
I received one of these jackets with the plastic bits, went straight back to Eastman
Not a snob but having shelled out for a new jacket I couldn’t believe it when I saw the zipper
Don’t recall the how the leather/ sheepskin looked

MikeyB-17

I had a Martin Gould Leathers ‘D-1’ (another John Lever purchase!), not terribly accurate but actually a pretty cool jacket, which had Riri zips. They were things of beauty, no business on a D-1 but obviously very high quality. The main zip had a very hard, tough plastic male feed. I recall ELC used Riri’s on Luftwaffe jackets-anyone know if they had any plastic bits?