• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Irvin 1942 with strange zipper

entertainment

I am going to call the leather supple rather than spongy.
Clearly, the more crinkly hides are more authentic, but I don't like how they wear.
Probably, I am just rationalizing. The zipper is dismaying though.

Micawber

Clearly, the more crinkly hides are more authentic, but I don't like how they wear.
Probably, I am just rationalizing. The zipper is dismaying though.

I wouldn't worry, if the jacket keeps you warm and looks acceptable to you then all is well. It's rather easy to fall into the trap of being somewhat obsessive about this or that, reproduction flight jackets included. Jacket snobbery and that includes their component parts is all part and parcel of this place.

Last edited:

MikeyB-17

I wouldn’t say no to it. Who’s going to stop their horse and cart to notice a bit of plastic on the zip? OK, it shouldn’t be there (and you’d expect better from ELC really), but it wouldn’t put me off. I can’t remember if the one I briefly owned had any plastic on it or not.

Micawber

I wouldn’t say no to it. Who’s going to stop their horse and cart to notice a bit of plastic on the zip? OK, it shouldn’t be there (and you’d expect better from ELC really), but it wouldn’t put me off. I can’t remember if the one I briefly owned had any plastic on it or not.

Clearly a real connoisseur of fine shearling jackets has to be able to spot an inferior zip and hide ELC offering from 10 paces, that way he can avoid fraternising with those lesser and rather sad mortals who own such abhorrences.

;)

Micawber

Mind you I have lost a bit of sleep since you reawakened the subject of zips which have small areas of plastic on them. Subsequent comments about the hide almost demanded clean underwear

Smithy

Actually the crinkly, cardboardy outer shell is wrong in relation to originals so supple is better for what it's worth.

At the end of the day if you're happy who gives a shit? A repro is still a repro no matter how good and will never be an original.

I've said it before but I'll say it again, it's like saying "my fake Rolex is better than your fake Rolex".

Jacket snobbery and that includes their component parts is all part and parcel of this place.

One of my A-2s is a WPG, admittedly one of the very first pre-release ones which were better than the production jobs, but still it's a WPG. Do I care what others think? Not one bit, it fits brilliantly and has a better hand and drape compared to originals than most repros many times more expensive.

Jacket snobbery like all forms of snobbery is based on subjective feelings of inadequacy and nothing else, it's just dick measuring for those who feel they need to. Thankfully most guys around here don't give a hoot and are just happy to have some virtual mates with the same interest/disease.

Southoftheborder

I bought one of these off of eBay about seven or eight years ago for a very good price. It was practically unworn, and still stiff and unbroken in. From messages I think the original owner, who was this man's deceased brother in law was just too fat for it and didn't realise that they fit quite slim on the gut area.

With the help of J Lever of this parish on the FD site I think it was decided that it was made around 2003. The zip bothered me a tiny bit, but not so much that it put me off the jacket. The hide was lovely BTW and much more true to period than the broken hide which was only found on US jackets I think - but is still sold as authentic for RAF ones. I moved it on several years ago because lovely to look at as they are an Irvin isn't a practical garment where I live. I used to wear a cheap British made knock off one back in the early sixties when I was young and it kept me really warm then. But the winters are nowhere near as cold now as then.

I do have a broken hide C3 which it took me a long time to love and looked horrible IMO at first. Five years later it has softened and looks okay I suppose. It's warm under a lighter jacket anyway.

P3010004.jpeg

entertainment

Thank you everyone for all the informative and amusing posts. At least I am now sure that it is ELC, though I am not quite sure why I ever doubted that.

Smithy

Old school Grant. Looks a thousand times better than what they currently sell, and for not as much coin!

John Lever

Agree Smithy. I bought it second hand from John Lever years ago, so he may have an idea how old it is.
Quite an early jacket from 1990s, very robust, I washed it to crinkle it up. The only reason I sold it was because I have another that I prefer, a size 48 merino similar to this 44.
20151013_084145.jpg
6 I am wearing Grants Irvin over an A1 in my avatar.