• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Caps/Hats/headgear to wear with your flight jackets...

Chandler

Gray fedora I bought at an old hat shop in Milwaukee back in the late 80s.

Kud5iXG.jpg

Wore this to a Harry Anderson show one time and he wanted to steal it! ;) Looks great with a suit and tie.

Chandler

@Pa12 -- Did Doc Holiday ever make it to Calgary? ;)

Custom-made Holiday hat I bought at a local (since closed) mercantile back at the height of the "Tombstone" craze. It wasn't an exact movie replica, but a used a little steam and shaped it myself -- complete with the wind-blown side that looked pretty cool.

It's really not as dusty and dirty as it looks, something about my phone-cam that highlights edges too much.

6o9dL2m.jpg

Pa12

Custom-made Holiday hat I bought at a local (since closed) mercantile back at the height of the "Tombstone" craze. It wasn't an exact movie replica, but a used a little steam and shaped it myself -- complete with the wind-blown side that looked pretty cool.

It's really not as dusty and dirty as it looks, something about my phone-cam that highlights edges too much.

6o9dL2m.jpg
Don’t know if doc ever made it there but it’s definitely cowboy country. I always use the old joke on my Calgary buddies “ nothin but queers and steers in Calgary and I don’t see no horns on ya boy”. Sorry, not politically correct, just a joke.

Chandler

A 1942 St Louis Cardinals cap … that’s outstanding . Are they caps that were made for commercial sales or actual team or game worn caps ?
It's an American Needle cap -- a company that made "repro" vintage ball caps for many years (the 50s - 60s Cards and 50s Sox cap in my group picture are AN caps), but a few years ago New Era got an MLB contract that forbid (forbade?) any other manufacturer from selling any caps with current team affiliation markings. AN had to stop manufacturing their outstanding MLB repro caps -- and now no one else is making vintage repros.

I've bought one New Era cap since then, and only because I got it directly from the minor league team itself.

Really stinks because I know these caps are going to wear out soon and I don't have another source of their kind.

Oh yeah, and they're fitted caps.

B-Man2

It's an American Needle cap -- a company that made "repro" vintage ball caps for many years (the 50s - 60s Cards and 50s Sox cap in my group picture are AN caps), but a few years ago New Era got an MLB contract that forbid (forbade?) any other manufacturer from selling any caps with current team affiliation markings. AN had to stop manufacturing their outstanding MLB repro caps -- and now no one else is making vintage repros.

I've bought one New Era cap since then, and only because I got it directly from the minor league team itself.

Really stinks because I know these caps are going to wear out soon and I don't have another source of their kind.

Oh yeah, and they're fitted caps.
I recently picked up a game worn Phillies cap and a game worn jersey . I’m not into caps that much but I’m sure it’s a New Era cap

Chandler

I recently picked up a game worn Phillies cap and a game worn jersey . I’m not into caps that much but I’m sure it’s a New Era cap
If the cap is from a game within the last 10 years, it's definitely a New Era. If it's from the last 3 or 4 years it will have a stitched NE logo on one side of the cap -- along with the usual inner tag.

I started buying New Era caps back in the early 80s because I wanted a fitted cap like the players. NE had mail order ads in the backs of the baseball newspapers at the time -- direct from the factory.

But back then there were a few different cap companies -- a few still selling to pro and minor league teams. Slowly these other companies went out of business and NE filled the gaps until they decided they should be the only vendor to MLB (not sure about other leagues like NFL -- but there's plenty of NE equipment there, too).

It's just that when they finally told everyone else, like American Needle, that they couldn't license MLB trademarks that I got a little indignant about their monopoly. AN was making great vintage repros at decent prices and now no one is.

B-Man2

This is the website I used to use for American Needle purchases -- you can see they still have some AN Cooperstown caps, but most are sold out and won't be restocked.

Seems like another cool hobby . When I went to the Mighty 8th museum a couple of weeks ago with Young Medic ( Tim) , he was wearing a ball cap from the movie “A league of their own” . I asked him about it and he told me that he had it made by the same woman who actually made the ball caps for the movie. Once the movie came out her cap business exploded and now she hand makes different movie ball caps .
0C83D45C-2FFD-47D1-803B-9B49E0BCB773.jpeg

YoungMedic

Here's a bit of history on Roman Pro -- another company of whose caps I have a few.

I forget how exactly I stumbled on her but at the time she was getting back into the hat business, as you can see she’s doing very well

Pa12

6o9dL2m.jpg
I too went through the Wyatt Earp stage;)
88A1D758-DE22-42EB-92A9-C9BB9A92D528.jpeg