• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NR MINT ROUGH WEAR AC 16159 A2

Roughwear

This fantastic jacket has already been discussed in the Aution Talk section, but as it arrived earlier in the week I thought you might like to see some more photos. The seller, George Hsu, is a serious collector and is now a member here. He has been a pleasure to deal with.

This RW is in essentially new condition apart from the knits which are NOS replacements. As members know RW had five contracts for A2s and the 16159 was their first, dating to the 1941 fiscal year. By no means as rare as the 1940 Aero, this pre-war contract was most likely considerably smaller than later contracts, if the numbers of surviving jackets are an indicator.

It displays all the familiar RW characteristics, but the pocket flaps are more angular than on subsequent RW contracts.

The 14th AF captain who owned the jacket wore it to reunions, but remains unidentified. Here are some pictures.

028-19.jpg

029-17.jpg

030-16.jpg

051-7.jpg

035-13.jpg

032-12.jpg

033-19.jpg

034-15.jpg

036-12.jpg

038-12.jpg

046-6.jpg

048-8.jpg

049-7.jpg

050-8.jpg

042-9.jpg

043-9.jpg

052-6.jpg

040-12.jpg

041-10.jpg

027-24.jpg

dmar836

Andrew,
As usual - great condition and astutely bought. Leather looks spectacular!
Is the collar standing proud due to the way it was stored? On a hangar?
Sure hope you can find who wore this.
Dave
KC, USA

Roughwear

Thanks Dave. I think the positioning of the collar is due to how the jacket was stored. The jacket needs to be broken in, but as I'll only be wearing it to the odd air show this is unlikely to happen! :)

jonnyboy

Andrew, are you sure you haven't been hitching a ride in the Tardis - going back in time to pick up A-2's and Irvins?!

Looks like a great jacket - congrats.

Jon

Andrew,

Thanks for the kind words and really nicely taken pictures! I see that you've already repaired the diagonal reinforcement stitch on the inner windflap. Very nice job! I'm hoping the two of you get plenty of admiration in Duxford. I call these types of examples "time-capsule" jackets, and I hope you agree that I wasn't exaggerating with my description.

George

Weasel_Loader

What an amazing jacket Andrew! If it were not for the corrosion on the metal fittings, I'd swear its a top flight repro. ;)

Thanks for sharing.

johnwayne

Hey Andrew
thats brilliant - I don't know how you do it, your obsession knows no bounds!
Ironically the collar seems to sit exactly how my ELC RW1401 does (youve seen it, you may recall - patched up as 319th FS?).
If I saw that I would have have put my money on it being a repro but I bow to your superior knowledge in all things A2!!
Does this mean yet another being off loaded?
As you know I'm a 44 original - I'll be keeping my eyes peeled!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Wayne

Roughwear

johnwayne said:
Hey Andrew
thats brilliant - I don't know how you do it, your obsession knows no bounds!
Ironically the collar seems to sit exactly how my ELC RW1401 does (youve seen it, you may recall - patched up as 319th FS?).
If I saw that I would have have put my money on it being a repro but I bow to your superior knowledge in all things A2!!
Does this mean yet another being off loaded?
As you know I'm a 44 original - I'll be keeping my eyes peeled!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Wayne

Wayne, This jacket could easily be mistaken for a repro, but it is impossible to totally replicate this horsehide these days and the hardware has the accumulated verdigris from the last 70 years. Yes I will be selling some jackets, but no original A2s, a couple of repros and two size 4 Irvins which are not part of my main collection.

CBI

Andrew "does it" by keeping current with eBay and his willingness to spend his hard earned cash on these things. I have to admit a bit of envy in regards this new RW as I was almost going to bid on it. I had decided not to, then a "well, what the heck" bid but I ended up having to do some work related activity and missed it/forgot about it. My high bid would have been higher than what it sold for however Andrew's bid might have been higher still. Congrats again on one of the finest A-2's around! Wear it in good health, it does look great!

CBI

Hey - no problem! :D Not trying to take anything away from your great find! Very cool!

bazelot

It 's a Goodwear!!! :)
Congrats on that one. If I still collected AAF gear I would have thrown a bid.

TankBuster

Nice one Andrew. Tough to upgrade on that one. You got it for well short of its actual value IMO. I've noticed lately it's a buyers market for original wearers.

Roughwear

TankBuster said:
Nice one Andrew. Tough to upgrade on that one. You got it for well short of its actual value IMO. I've noticed lately it's a buyers market for original wearers.

You are right Jeff. I does appear to be a buyers market at the moment, but perhaps things will improve a little for the seller come the fall.

Yes, this poor seller thought the market was going to be a bit stronger than it turned out to be. But in the end, it wasn't even about the money--in the days having to pack it to ship it off to Andrew I experienced a great deal of regret even putting it up for sale. If it had ONLY been a 40 or 42, then there would have been no doubt it would have stayed in the collection. I have to say that it really looks fabulous on Andrew, though.

TankBuster

I can't blame you. I would have some sellers remorse as well. It's a great jacket. One of the better condition ones that I have ever seen.