• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NR MINT ROUGH WEAR AC 16159 A2

The fact that it's still in the "family" is actually a huge consolation indeed! Does being forced to sell your "smelly old jackets" constitute grounds for divorce in the state of California? The better half told me that I looked like a candy apple in it, and I couldn't figure out how to grow two inches in all directions before being forced to put it up for sale. I get a bit more of a reprieve when the jacket actually fits. Unfortunately, I didn't start collecting until after matrimonial bliss commenced, so I couldn't sneak any carveout clauses into the prenup agreement. Am I alone here, or is this a familiar theme in the jacket world? :lol: :lol: :lol:

dmar836

It is in my world but I know when to hold of as my wife has been very supportive so far. She even paid $1200 to get me a 1943 AN6510 parachute last year!
She knows I had a lot of this stuff before we met so I'd likely not change.
Dave
Kansas City, USA

If you had the bug prior to engagement, then that constitutes full disclosure. No problem there--in fact, it was probably part of your charm that attracted her to you. I came down with the bug much later, so I have to "work at it" a bit more. It's amazing that your wife indulged you in such a loving manner. What a find! She's a keeper! Mine is too, so Andrew should count his blessings that I am happily married and wish to stay that way, although that doesn't mean that I wasn't allowed to shed some tears during the parting process. Unfortunately, I'll have a few more tears to shed before this chapter is entirely over. I've gotten dozens more that I have to justify holding on to, or they will be making their way out into the world as well. I just hope that they also stay within the "family" as well. One thing I can say with the wisdom acquired out of collecting, and that is that there is far more pleasure in receiving little boxes of jackets then sending them away--even if once in a while there is a dud or two. It's always the ones that get away that you remember the most. That's for certain! ;)

Roughwear

Like you George I caught the jacket collecting bug long after I got married. My wife tolerates the jackets but is really happy when she sees some being sold. The good thing is she can't tell one A2 from another (unless it has a patch) so new arrivals are rarely detected. ;) :lol: She seems to be less "keen on" sheepskin jackets as they take up more room in the house.

I know the "camouflage by creating large piles" trick well. It's true that once you get enough piles going (at least for a while), they tend not to notice new ones coming in. I'm sure that's why you rotate wearing jackets as you do. That's another ruse out of the book to keep them from finding out yet another new one has joined the bunch. The most important thing these days is to make sure that you take delivery of new ones while the better half is absent. A steady stream of incoming packages is a sure giveaway that the collecting bug is getting worse and not better. However, the corollary to this is to make a big deal about the packages going out. Make sure to leave those in various stages of the packing process out on the dining room table, or somewhere very public and noticeable, and lament a lot. Then kiss her on the way out to the post office. But I'm sure that you have this art down to a precise science! ;)

Roughwear

I too usually make sure my wife knows about any jacket sales and she is always pleased when the number of jackets decreases. ;)

A

Anonymous

How do you guys find all the good jackets in your size.........?

CBI

eBay searching is the standard approach that yields/can yield great results. My best luck with orginals has been contacting VLJ members. Lots of guys here with many jackets and it seems folks frequently are up for thinning out their collections.

TankBuster

When it comes to wearers, Ebay is the place to look. They really aren't too hard to find. You just need the dough! ;)