• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IRVIN LABELS

Roughwear

I was asked Jason for pictures of Irvin labels. I have put them here for ease of reference. They appear to have been made of cotton or linen. Here are a few. :)

1935 Irvin jacket
50963.jpg

Wareing and Co trousers -1939 contract

5351_3.jpg

1941 contract Irvin Air chute jacket

Irvinoriginal3-1.jpg

Late War jacket

Irvin_lab1-1.jpg

1940 contract jacket by Links

1940Ivina.jpg

Jason

Thanks Andrew, I've still not done anything about getting some repro labels done - but over the coming months I should be able to - besides winter is just around the corner here, incentive for me to get that replacement label for the WPG Irvin done

Roughwear

Jason said:
Thanks Andrew, I've still not done anything about getting some repro labels done - but over the coming months I should be able to - besides winter is just around the corner here, incentive for me to get that replacement label for the WPG Irvin done

Have you anyone in mind to produce an Irvin label?

Jason

Roughwear said:

Sure do - either a local screenprinter called TPS, or a local embriodery / screenprinter group called Statewide Embroidery - both local, both willing to work with me on small lots at prices that won't kill me.

Roughwear

Jason said:
Roughwear said:

Sure do - either a local screenprinter called TPS, or a local embriodery / screenprinter group called Statewide Embroidery - both local, both willing to work with me on small lots at prices that won't kill me.

There would be a demand for good Irvin labels from collectors as so many original labels are missing.

Andrew

Roughwear said:
There would be a demand for good Irvin labels from collectors as so many original labels are missing.

Ok, as I see it....as far as selling to add to originals, I don't think that would be a good idea- I hate the thought of someone selling a jacket as complete as possible with "original" label when it's not. Look at the debarcle of that "Luftwaffe" jacket you sold and have since spotted being put up as genuine. I know you and plenty of others here wouldn't misrepresent something but there's plenty of people out there who would, and this is becoming far more common as good examples dry up.

In addition, who's really to say who made what labeless Irvin jacket with any absolute confidence. Just let these no name jackets stay as they are. With an A-2 it's relatively easy to pick the maker of a label less jacket, but it's nearly impossible with the Irvin- though Andrew I know you don't mind having a shot at it through experence. These jackets either lost their labels because they were supposed to (not announcing the makers and their location to the Enemy) or they fell off as they weren't required after issue.

I reckon leave the originals alone- who would really want a messed with jacket if they were aware of it. I know if I got one i'd remove it myself. Also, as we can see there were loads of variations of the labels, many others not included here, such as the thin ribbon with the AM Crown and size number only. It would only end in tears.

With regard to Jason's idea to replace the label on a WPG then that's fine as any effort would be an improvement, but they are bound to find their way onto oldies to simply illegally inflate their value.

Roughwear

Leadsky said:
Roughwear said:

Ok, as I see it....as far as selling to add to originals, I don't think that would be a good idea- I hate the thought of someone selling a jacket as complete as possible with "original" label when it's not. Look at the debarcle of that "Luftwaffe" jacket you sold and have since spotted being put up as genuine. I know you and plenty of others here wouldn't misrepresent something but there's plenty of people out there who would, and this is becoming far more common as good examples dry up.

In addition, who's really to say who made what labeless Irvin jacket with any absolute confidence. Just let these no name jackets stay as they are. With an A-2 it's relatively easy to pick the maker of a label less jacket, but it's nearly impossible with the Irvin- though Andrew I know you don't mind having a shot at it through experence. These jackets either lost their labels because they were supposed to (not announcing the makers and their location to the Enemy) or they fell off as they weren't required after issue.

I reckon leave the originals alone- who would really want a messed with jacket if they were aware of it. I know if I got one i'd remove it myself. Also, as we can see there were loads of variations of the labels, many others not included here, such as the thin ribbon with the AM Crown and size number only. It would only end in tears.

With regard to Jason's idea to replace the label on a WPG then that's fine as any effort would be an improvement, but they are bound to find their way onto oldies to simply illegally inflate their value.

Andrew I agree with all of this. I too would be concerned about some people using the labels to up the price of originals. As you know there were a variety of different Irvin labels anyway, all different contract numbers on them and some jacket may never have had labels in the first place.

Roughwear

PADDY_M said:
Have we pics of other makers labels?

Sure. I have original labels by DGL (as you do!), Robinson and Ensum and Links, as well as Wareings and IAC. I'll take some pics of them tomorrow.

John Lever

I like the Wareings the best.
I may be wrong but I think they have also made utility furniture at some point.

Roughwear

D.G.LTD label and jacket. c.1942
012-36.jpg

001-25.jpg

Irvin Air Chute label from a 1940 contract electrically wired jacket
B9NG8n2kKGrHqRi4EzNd2S6UEBM5GH4KcHQ0_3.jpg

Features from the early IAC design are apparent on this 1941 contract label.
B155jgBGkKGrHqJiYEqZSu-hhBMgT2ybSQ_12.jpg

Both 1941 labels also have the Aeronautical Inspection Directorate stamp on them. Each inspector held a personalised signature-mark, by which he signed-off Irvin jackets and trousers. His job was oversight/supervision of a contractors' work.
B-Q0z-wEGkKGrHqYOKi4EzV4HhgE3BM8P5OLOg0_3.jpg

Roughwear

I have amended the blurb to go with the last picture.

Roughwear said:
D.G.LTD label and jacket. c.1942
012-36.jpg

001-25.jpg

Irvin Air Chute label from a 1940 contract electrically wired jacket
B9NG8n2kKGrHqRi4EzNd2S6UEBM5GH4KcHQ0_3.jpg

Features from the early IAC design are apparent on this 1941 contract label.
B155jgBGkKGrHqJiYEqZSu-hhBMgT2ybSQ_12.jpg

The above 1941 label has the Aeronautical Inspection Directorate stamp on it. Each inspector held a personalised signature-mark, by which he signed-off Irvin jackets and trousers. His job was oversight/supervision of a contractors' work. However the label below appears to have I.A.C. stamped on it, which pressumably stands for Irvin Air Chute and was most likely either an internal quality control stamp or a batch number.
B-Q0z-wEGkKGrHqYOKi4EzV4HhgE3BM8P5OLOg0_3.jpg

Roughwear

This 1939 Wareing's label is slightly different from the one earlier in the thread. It is from the a superb two panel Irvin in my collection.
002-30.jpg

026-20.jpg

009-36.jpg