I have been collecting WWII Navy flight jackets for the last 15 years and this the first patched WWII flight jacket I have that was actually patched and worn in WWII. Those things are beyond rare. Patch is made on engine / canopy cover treated blue canvas (a lot of rigger made items were made from that type of canvas). According to vpnavy.com: "Insignia was designed by Ralph Schneider AOM during a contest by VP-17 to find a squadron insignia..." in 1944 Jacket is named to crewmember Edward A. Richmond (AOM). The jacket came with a bunch of paperwork. His WWII crackerjack uniform, a framed 100 pesos Filipino Japanese occupation bill and a bunch of framed letter and bills. VP-17 WWII History from Wikipedia: 18 May 1944: VP-17 began departing NAS Alameda for NAS Kaneohe Bay on schedule with all aircraft arriving by 31 May. No problems were encountered en route. While at NAS Kaneohe Bay the squadron operated under the operational control of FAW-2. 1 June 1944: After the squadron had settled into its new temporary quarters, it was quickly brought up to operational status and patrols in the vicinity of the Hawaiian Islands were commenced. Additional ASW training was begun on 1 July 1944, continuing until the squadron was deployed to the South Pacific. 3 September 1944: VP-17 deployed a detachment of five aircraft to NAB Ebeye, Eniwetok, Marshall Islands, joining VP-21 and sharing quarters aboard the tender USS Casco. The detachment came under the operational control of FAW-1. 11 September 1944: A detachment of three aircraft was deployed to Tanapag Harbor, Saipan, with tender support provided by USS Hamlin. The remainder of the squadron from NAS Kaneohe Bay joined this detachment on 17 September 1944, bringing the detachment total to seven aircraft. Sector searches, Dumbo (air-sea rescue) missions, mail delivery and air cargo missions to Palau were assigned by Commander, Patrol Squadrons, FAW-1. 5 October 1944: VPB-17 was reassigned temporarily to the tender USS Curtiss in preparation for relocation to Ulithi. Six squadron aircraft departed for Ulithi on 9 October 1944, operating temporarily from the small seaplane tender USS Onslow until USS Hamlinarrived on 13 October 1944. The remaining six aircraft of the squadron arrived on the same date. Anti-shipping patrols in the vicinity of Ulithi were commenced immediately. 24 December 1944: VPB-17 was relocated from Ulithi back to Tanapag Harbor, Saipan. Essential maintenance and crew rest was provided in preparation for further deployment. 21 January 1945: VPB-17 was en route to Kossol Passage, Palau Islands. On arrival, the squadron was provided support by seaplane tender USS Kenneth Whiting. Sector searches and anti-shipping patrols were commenced upon arrival. 5 February 1945: VPB-17 was again relocated to Ulithi, and based temporarily aboard the tender USS Chandeleur. 12 February 1945: A detachment of VPB-17 was deployed further south aboard the tender USS Orca, operating out of San Pedro Bay, Philippines, under the operational control of FAW-17. A second detachment was deployed to Lingayen Gulf, berthed temporarily aboard the tender USS Currituck. The remainder of the squadron arrived at San Pedro Bay on 20 February and the crews were relocated to USS San Pablo. 9 March 1945: VPB-17 was relocated to Jinamoc Seaplane Base, Philippines, and rejoined by the detachment previously operating from Lingayen Gulf. The base at Jinamoc Island was completed on 31 March 1945, providing berthing and repair facilities ashore for the squadron. 11 March 1945: A detachment of eight aircraft was deployed to Puerto Princesa, Palawan Islands. Tender support upon arrival was provided by USS Pocomoke. The detachment remained until 22 April 1945, when it was deployed again to Lingayen Gulf, with tender support provided by USS Tangier. The detachment of four aircraft remaining at Jinamoc rejoined the squadron at Lingayen Gulf on 27 April 1945. 7 June 1945: VPB-17 deployed a detachment to Tawi-Tawi, Sulu, Philippines. This group was joined by three additional aircraft on 14 June. 15 June 1945: The rest of VPB-17 remained in Lingayen Gulf at Port Sual, Philippines, still aboard USS Tangier. Night searches and attack patrols were conducted from this location against enemy positions and ships until 30 June, when the remainder of the squadron rejoined the detachment at Lingayen. The reunited squadron was relocated aboard USS Currituck. 2 July 1945: Eleven squadron aircraft were deployed back to Tawi-Tawi, aboard USS Pocomoke. Patrols were conducted over Balikpapan, Borneo, and Morotai.