• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII M422a with Flying Tigers paint

dmar836

Flying Tigers jacket with no provenance = fake IMO. Pay no more than any other M-422a in similar condition. One can never add provenance to such a piece so it will never be worth more than that. To pay more for that paint is to be hopeful at best and to then resell it without a loss is dependent on another hopeful soul. No serious collector and no serious money will be exchanged for this without the history that goes with it.
JMO,
Dave

TankBuster

dmar836 said:
Flying Tigers jacket with no provenance = fake IMO. Pay no more than any other M-422a in similar condition. One can never add provenance to such a piece so it will never be worth more than that. To pay more for that paint is to be hopeful at best and to then resell it without a loss is dependent on another hopeful soul. No serious collector and no serious money will be exchanged for this without the history that goes with it.
JMO,
Dave

100% right on!

A

Anonymous

pardon my ignorance but what kind of provenance are we talking about? Could you please elaborate?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
PLATON said:
pardon my ignorance but what kind of provenance are we talking about? Could you please elaborate?

The history of the ownership of an object, especially when documented or authenticated.

It would need to be tied to an original owner, in that form ... some old photograps would be a start.

Roughwear

Perhaps provenance is not important to the six people bidding on the jacket, or do they know something about it we don't?

Dr H

I doubt that the painted image is legit, but I really like the patination and the colour of the jacket.
Does anyone know whether this contract typically runs to size (it's marked 42) or smaller?
I'm not really a navy jacket fan, but this one really appeals.

JOHNO

At the right price it would be a nice piece to have, its still a good looking M-22a. I just wish it was a 46.

RCSignals

JDAM said:
I don't believe there's evidence of a member of the AVG ever wearing a m-422a?

I have seen photos in which some appear to be wearing Gordon and Ferguson wide pocket jackets.

JDAM

RCSignals said:
JDAM said:
I don't believe there's evidence of a member of the AVG ever wearing a m-422a?

I have seen photos in which some appear to be wearing Gordon and Ferguson wide pocket jackets.

Please post the photos here if possible.

RCSignals

I did discuss this in another post a while ago. Some of the photos i've seen are ina book

the Pictorial History of the Flying Tigers by Larry M Pistole

I am in no way trying to suggest teh jacket in the auction is actually a Flying tiger jacket, just making observation about M-422a's

Generally regarding M-422 and M-422a jackets there seems to information that is just repeated as fact when it might not be. The story of the pencil slot is one.

JOHNO

I found these in one of curahee's posts in the photo forum.

AVG_2.jpg

AVG_3.jpg

AVG4.jpg
[/quote]

bjoy

Roughwear said:
Perhaps provenance is not important to the six people bidding on the jacket, or do they know something about it we don't?

Jacket sold for $1125 with a total of 13 different bidders.

A

Anonymous

Look at who bid, a bunch of rookies. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RCSignals

Those aren't the photos from the book I referred to. The photo you've quoted shows one jacket with shorter sleeves, I wouldn't say they all have short sleeves or even call it very short.
I think they had a mixture of jackets ( not considering the a-2s and private purchase jackets some had) including 422a's. Tex Hill's jacket is one of them that appears to be a wide pocket M-422a.