• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WwII era jacket with patch

meganamanda

Hello,
I was directed to this forum to see if anyone might be able to give me some information on this jacket that was given to my father. I appreciate any info!
Megan

DiamondDave

Hello,
I was directed to this forum to see if anyone might be able to give me some information on this jacket that was given to my father. I appreciate any info!
MeganView attachment 25764

Greetings,

The jacket appears to have been an issued garment. It would help immensely to see the label at the neck of the jacket. Barring that, just some flat pics taken on The floor would help us to see details and perhaps identify your jacket.

DD

DiamondDave

Knit skirt has been replaced. The width of the hanger bar is an indicator as this style was used by Aero, Beacon, NY. This is likely an Aero 15142 Or perhaps an early made jacket in the 18775 contract.

The Patch certainly looks original and may well be from a civilian radio school operating somewhere in the US, and training new cadets... Very interesting.

To the OP (meganamanda), the jacket is most assuredly original and correct for a garment made during WWII and issued to the United States Army Air Forces.

DD

Last edited:

Grant

FWIW, those two Aero contracts would be the last of seven Aero contracts, both dated 1942. Also, if there's a pocket label inside the right pocket, that might narrow it down to the 15142P contract. Sorry for the nerd out.

DiamondDave

FWIW, those two Aero contracts would be the last of seven Aero contracts, both dated 1942. Also, if there's a pocket label inside the right pocket, that might narrow it down to the 15142P contract. Sorry for the nerd out.

Likely both pockets if it is an Aero. Good catch Grant.

DD

Grant

No, it could still be an Aero, possibly the 18775 contract, or possibly the label has gone missing. The color of the lining, shape of the pockets all point to one of the later Aero contracts in my opinion. Could you post a pic of the pocket or collar snaps and zipper pull?

meganamanda

Here are the photos I have. Ill have to get a photo of the buttons tomorrow. My father has the flight records from the original owner of the jacket. He flew during WWII. Thank you for all the info!

Attachments

• Polish_20191022_200126866.jpg
    Polish_20191022_200126866.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 228

Brettafett

I knew you guys would be able to come up with more info, so directed MM here.
I also thought it was certainly an Aero, shape of collar and pockets, mustard lining, hanger. etc... but wanted to ask... When did the USAAF begin adding the 'meatball' roundels on the shoulder as standard? This is not a repaint, and as the roundel appears to have been added in the factory or in theatre, likely a later war contract.
Have a look here:
http://www.militaryaviationartifacts.com/jackets.htm and http://www.militaryaviationartifacts.com/images/5-10-19/IMG_4709.JPG

meganamanda

Hi Guys,
Here are the detail photos. Let me know if additional photos would help. My dad was also given the jacket owner's flight logs. Thank you for helping to solve this mystery.
Megan

Attachments

• 20191023_113311_phixr.jpg
    20191023_113311_phixr.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 212
  • 20191023_113410_phixr.jpg
    20191023_113410_phixr.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 20191023_113431_phixr.jpg
    20191023_113431_phixr.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 199

foster

So, I am speculating it could be one of these contracts:

I am leaning toward the 21996 due to the triple marked Talon zipper, the russet hide and the fact that the collar snap studs do not pass through the lining. I do know others here are more knowledgeable than myself on these details, and I am always glad to be corrected.