• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 original color photos

Kermit3D

August 1942. Corpus Christi, Texas. "Aviation Cadet Thanas at Naval Air Base.

SHORPY_1a34882u.jpg

Pa12

If he wore his hat on the side of his head the way many seemed to do in those days, hmmm. Not sure he wasn’t pulling one over on you kids . ;)
I was just talking to my older brother and mentioned it to him. He said that story started when he was a teenager. He asked the old man when he lost his hair (we never knew him with a full head of hair). He told my brother “when i joined the service at 18. Must have been that stupid fuckin hat we had to wear”:D

Micawber

Yup Brylcream or some other greasy hair oil or pomade type stuff.

That plus so many airmen lost their hair or developed MPB and pronounced Widows Peaks through wearing flight helmets, or flying helmets as we British chaps would call them, for hours on end.

B-Man2

Same as a lot of AAF pilots who wore their crush caps as far back on their heads as they could.

Brylcreem. ;)

That plus so many airmen lost their hair or developed MPB and pronounced Widows Peaks through wearing flight helmets, or flying helmets as we British chaps would call them, for hours on end.
Hey .. Hey … let’s be a little more respectful to Brylcream …. It got a lot of us noticed by the ladies back in our younger days and some of us still use it . :D
IMG_2192.jpeg

;)

Last edited:

Pa12

I’ve heard, prior to brylcream products, lard was used.

Micawber

Hey .. Hey … let’s be a little more respectful to Brylcream …. It got a lot of us noticed by the ladies back in our younger days and some of us still use it . :D
View attachment 134639
;)

I have more hair growth on my chin than on my head these days ;)

Mind you the other year my daughter bought me a beard care kit for Christmas which included a bottle of beard oil... presumably a cure for squeaky beards.

Kermit3D

THE VISIT OF HM KING GEORGE VI TO NO 617 SQUADRON (THE DAMBUSTERS), ROYAL AIR FORCE, SCAMPTON, LINCOLNSHIRE, 27 MAY 1943

RAF01.jpg

WING COMMANDER GUY GIBSON, VC, DSO AND BAR, DFC AND BAR, COMMANDER OF 617 SQUADRON (DAMBUSTERS) AT SCAMPTON, LINCOLNSHIRE, 22 JULY 1943

RAF02.jpg

Canadian PO (A) S Jess, wireless operator of an Avro Lancaster bomber operating from Waddington, Lincolnshire carrying two pigeon boxes. Homing pigeons served as a means of communications in the event of a crash, ditching or radio failure.

RAF03.jpg

Kermit3D

Flight Lieutenant Laurie of No. 222 Squadron, Royal Air Force in the cockpit of Supermarine Spitfire Mark V, BM202 'ZD-H' "Flying Scotsman", at North Weald, Essex. The aircraft was the second bearing this name to be paid for from donations made by LNER personnel. May 1942.

RAF04.jpg

Women's Royal Naval Service: Wren Air Mechanics feeding ammunition into the Browning gun of a Hawker Hurricane aircraft at the Fleet Air Arm airfield at Yeovilton, Somerset.

RAF05.jpg

The CO of No 23 Squadron, Royal Air Force, Wing Commander John B Selby, DSO, DFC, and his observer looking at their De Havilland Mosquito II aircraft `P-Peter' while other members of the squadron watch from atop the blast wall at the dispersal point, Malta, 27 June 1943. The four .303in machine guns are corked to prevent dirt damaging them.

RAF06.jpg

Kermit3D

A gathering of men of No 467 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force to celebrate the completion of 100 operations by the Avro Lancaster R5868/`PO-S' (S for Sugar) after its sortie on 11 - 12 May 1944 to a communications target in Belgium. Below the cockpit of the Lancaster are the emblems indicating the number of operational flights and the award of three DSOs and two DFCs to crew members.

RAF07.jpg