• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 or worn repro ?

John Lever

hacker said:
It certainly is.....and the seller stated that.

YOU ARE BIDDING A SUPERB AND VERY RARE TO FIND WORLD WAR TWO, M-445 BuAERO US NAVY SHEEPSKIN JACKET IN GREAT CONDITIONS! ??

John Lever

I concede to not reading the description thoroughly, but the two separate statements are easily misunderstood.
I have owned two of these jackets, both were not quite right for me. One was too small the other had poor collar construction. If you examine the shots of the rear of the collar, it can be seen that it has a double leather Trapunto type stitching pattern. W + G don't usually go to these lengths of authenticity, that's why I thought the jacket could be mistaken for an original. The give away though is the cuff shot where the leather has blotching typical of distressed skins. The wear and scruffiness adds to the dilemma.
The price is way, way too high. £250/$500 max.

Falcon_52

This jacket is really confusing me. I don't recall the 1990s Willis & Geiger company offering the M-445. I went back through my catalogs and couldn't find it in there.

Could this be a jacket from "The Few"? It seems much more accurate than the repro W & G M-444.

Noel

John Lever

Falcon_52 said:
This jacket is really confusing me. I don't recall the 1990s Willis & Geiger company offering the M-445. I went back through my catalogs and couldn't find it in there.

Could this be a jacket from "The Few"? It seems much more accurate than the repro W & G M-444.

Noel
I have owned two of these so they were made. One of them had a stone wash sort of finish like this one.
Here's one that ended recently -
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0261642829
Although the listing says it's vintage, I think it's a repro. The condition is too good, they are usually falling apart.

hacker

The problem that exists is that sellers who are not collectors will rightfully call old clothing "vintage" but we tend to look at that description as meaning original military issue . The jacket you posted that sold on eBay is certainly a reproduction, in fact as far as I know Scoville zippers didn't even exist in the 1940's! but the fact it is over 20 years old I guess makes it a vintage piece of sorts. Now if the seller was to state that the jacket is an original WWII issue jacket then either he's just plain ignorant or dishonest. No doubt many listings are a bit misleading but that remains one of the pitfalls of buying online. IMHO!

Hacker

John Lever

hacker said:
The problem that exists is that sellers who are not collectors will rightfully call old clothing "vintage" but we tend to look at that description as meaning original military issue . The jacket you posted that sold on eBay is certainly a reproduction, in fact as far as I know Scoville zippers didn't even exist in the 1940's! but the fact it is over 20 years old I guess makes it a vintage piece of sorts. Now if the seller was to state that the jacket is an original WWII issue jacket then either he's just plain ignorant or dishonest. No doubt many listings are a bit misleading but that remains one of the pitfalls of buying online. IMHO!
100 % agree.

Hacker
These w+G repro's are ok if you can get them at the right price. The way things are at the moment, prices can only fall.