• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 Cool person wear B15d jacket !!

PeterShiao

this is very rare photo i guess about "that guy"!!

Attachments

• p40062230.jpg
    p40062230.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 116

mulceber

That's my understanding as well, from reading The Hump. In general, US command became increasingly jaded over the course of the war about Chiang's priorities, since he often seemed more interested in managing the loyalty of his subordinates and positioning himself to beat Mao after the war, than he was in defeating the Japanese. By the end of the war, the overwhelming majority (iirc, around 90%) of supplies that crossed the hump went to U.S. forces, rather than the Kuomintang.

Last edited:

ZuZu

That's my understanding as well, from reading The Hump. In general, US command became increasingly jaded over the course of the war about Chiang's priorities, since he often seemed more interested in managing the loyalty of his subordinates and positioning himself to beat Mao after the war, than he was in defeating the Japanese. By the end of the war, the overwhelming majority (iirc, around 90%) of supplies that crossed the hump went to U.S. forces, rather than the Kuomintang.
I read The Hump too. Long ago. That and Flight to Everywhere and a book on air transport during the Korean War I can't remember. All great jacketeering books.

B-Man2

From all that I’ve read about StillWell he was a major league AH . He was hated by most on both sides. He continued to push Merrill’s Marauders thru several missions and objectives when they were severely depleted of supplies and men . He had little regard for his troops only his own personal legacy .
Hence the title “ Vinegar Joe”.

Chandler

From all that I’ve read about StillWell he was a major league AH . He was hated by most on both sides. He continued to push Merrill’s Marauders thru several missions and objectives when they were severely depleted of supplies and men . He had little regard for his troops only his own personal legacy .
Hence the title “ Vinegar Joe”.
Chennault called him a great Combat Major, but a lousy Combat General (or something like that).

Meaning he should never have been promoted past Major. ;)