• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 colour photos of U.S pilots

chamboid

Can someone point me to a large cache of colour photos of U.S pilots? been searching and can't find much, I know they're out there but can't find them.

Air Forse or Navy.

Thanks

chamboid

Sorry if anyone is looking at this expecting photos, as soon as i did it tried to edit it, but it wont let me.

sorry

A

Anonymous

Yes WW2 was black and white, most of the conflicts after were shades of gray ;) ;) ;) ;)

capt71

dmar836 said:
WW2 wasn't in color. Everything was B&W back then.

If you're speaking of photography back then, color film existed and was used during the war. Just look at Life Magazine's archives and any number of sites that have posted color photos of WW2.

Russ 27752

In 1935 Eastman Kodak Corporation introduced a color film in 16 mm format for home movies trademarked as Kodachrome. In 1936, Kodachrome was introduced in 8 mm format for home movies and also 35 mm format for still photography. By 1938, Kodachrome sheet film in various sizes was available for professional photographers.

By December 1941, the initial month of the United States' involvement in WWII, Life magazine had many of their staff photographers equipped with Kodachrome film.

While color photographs of the Second World War do in fact exist, Black & White photos predominate because they were cheaper to take, process, and print than color ones.

dmar836 said:
WW2 wasn't in color. Everything was B&W back then.

dmar836

Lol. I meant true life actually had no color back then.
On a serious note, I remember the first time I saw an all-color doc of the war. Having grown up watching World at War I was not used to that at all. Blew me away!
Dave