• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 Coastal Command flight jacket.

flyincowboy

IF me a good cleaning of the jacket with a soft rag Then a light coat of SAPO CREAM TO FEED THE LEATHER we do that at the shop on old leathers and your jacket will thank you.
sapo-creme-nutritive-pour-cuirs-1873270119.jpg

Dumpster D

One last time, and then I've said my piece, but I can't stop you.

...I'd leave this Jacket alone. It doesn't need anything done to it...Except keep it off a hanger and store it properly. Enjoy the smell, and texture of it.

Go over it, every inch, until you can hear the radio crackle in your headset.

'OK skipper, on your go'

Just love and cherish it. Someone has looked after it rather well. that says a lot about its history and the original owners passion, he was damn proud of it.

You're talking to a guy with a CC Irvin in his profile pic, don't listen to me, I don't know anything.

Last edited:

Bax Biron

One last time, and then I've said my piece, but I can't stop you.

...I'd leave this Jacket alone. It doesn't need anything done to it...Except keep it off a hanger and store it properly. Enjoy the smell, and texture of it.

Go over it, every inch, until you can hear the radio crackle in your headset.

'OK skipper, on your go'

Just love and cherish it. Someone has looked after it rather well. that says a lot about its history and the original owners passion, he was damn proud of it.

You're talking to a guy with a CC Irvin in his profile pic, don't listen to me, I don't know anything.
That ain't happening;)

Dumpster D

Another thing I would like to ask is if you might be willing to take some really nice photos of the Jacket and when you get the details of the original owners records, would you consider posting about your Jacket in the Irvin Jacket thread for us please?

Hopefully someone here knows which thread I'm talking about and could please provide the link if possible.

Bax Biron

Worth doing the homework before diving in, at least think it over for awhile before going ahead.
I actually joined several groups like this one to learn/research the jacket, an awful lot of what's said as a positive is then a negative when someone else replies:(
I contacted Irvin who weren't interested.
I contacted Buffalo Hide who were really helpful but wouldn't sell me anything I needed to repair the zips unless I gave them the work.
I have contacted several companies who supply leather treatments and all are afraid to comment on their products used on my jacket.
The jacket does feel very dry and is screaming out for something to nourish it, make it a little more supple.
Buffalo has said the zip cannot be repaired, no harm trying then. I have no intention of getting repro zips fitted. One cuff zip has the slider and one tooth missing, the other cuff is complete. The main zip has about 20mm of teeth missing on one side and the slider missing, funnily enough I have found a slider from an old repro canvas jacket that opens and closes the zip perfectly.
I will never be able to wear the jacket as it's short in the body and I'm long in the body, other than that the arms are the right length and I could zip it up if the zip was complete. I'm 6'4" and 44" chest approx. Maybe I'll swap it for a chopper bike;)

Dumpster D

I actually joined several groups like this one to learn/research the jacket, an awful lot of what's said as a positive is then a negative when someone else replies:(
I contacted Irvin who weren't interested.
I contacted Buffalo Hide who were really helpful but wouldn't sell me anything I needed to repair the zips unless I gave them the work.
I have contacted several companies who supply leather treatments and all are afraid to comment on their products used on my jacket.
The jacket does feel very dry and is screaming out for something to nourish it, make it a little more supple.
Buffalo has said the zip cannot be repaired, no harm trying then. I have no intention of getting repro zips fitted. One cuff zip has the slider and one tooth missing, the other cuff is complete. The main zip has about 20mm of teeth missing on one side and the slider missing, funnily enough I have found a slider from an old repro canvas jacket that opens and closes the zip perfectly.
I will never be able to wear the jacket as it's short in the body and I'm long in the body, other than that the arms are the right length and I could zip it up if the zip was complete. I'm 6'4" and 44" chest approx. Maybe I'll swap it for a chopper bike;)

It won't be suitable for wearing, it will just fall apart. The leather is so old the bias isn't going to be there, even with some treatment. It's sheepskin, it's 80 years old, it wasn't meant to last 20 years at best...How long does a sheep live for?

If anything, the missing zipper teeth is what saved this jacket from being worn out.

That means the jacket is retired permanently, for display.

You reached out to some people and I commend you for that.

Too much time and effort, plus money better saved.

Your Jacket is absolutely perfect the way it is, just keep it stored properly, it will last.

...Again, keep it original, it's just the most sensible and practical thing at this point.

If it needs a little feed of some oil fine, but go easy...Wax or oils just give birth to mildew and bloom if not properly done.

I've been collecting WWII Flight Jackets for over 25 years now since I was about 14 years old, and I hope you trust me.

Put motion towards a good repro CC Irvin from Fivestar for example, and enjoy!!

Put this one away and preserve it with honours and privilege of being a caretaker of such a beautiful Jacket.

There is No need to repair it or work on it, it's totally ok to leave it as you found it...Original.

Also, please if you kindly, would document this Jacket in the Irvin thread for us when you get some time to take a few nice photos!! We would love to see it there in that thread, for sharing with people to see!!!

Would love to see it there, it's a really awesome piece of history you have!!

Dumpster D

Straight up, that Jacket would have fallen apart in the 1970's if the zipper didn't fail.

My grandfather was in the Artillery during WWII. Post war he moved into a 1950's era subdivision and lived down the street from an Air force Gunner, who became one of his lifelong postwar friends. When I was a kid I asked him about 'Uncle Freddy'...Did he have a sheepskin Irvin Jacket I once asked my grandfather.

He said. Oh yes he had one. I remember him shovelling the driveway in the wintertime wearing it' He told me.

In fact when I asked my gramps what became of his Wool BD uniform, he said 'Oh, I wore those pants out after the war gardening in them'.

B-Man2

Straight up, that Jacket would have fallen apart in the 1970's if the zipper didn't fail.

My grandfather was in the Artillery during WWII. Post war he moved into a 1950's era subdivision and lived down the street from an Air force Gunner, who became one of his lifelong postwar friends. When I was a kid I asked him about 'Uncle Freddy'...Did he have a sheepskin Irvin Jacket I once asked my grandfather.

He said. Oh yes he had one. I remember him shovelling the driveway in the wintertime wearing it' He told me.

In fact when I asked my gramps what became of his Wool BD uniform, he said 'Oh, I wore those pants out after the war gardening in them'.
Probably one of the ways most of the “bring back “ jackets or coats ended up after the war. Having grown up in the 50s I’d see a lot of the neighborhood vets wearing sheepskins , USN pea coats and N-1 deck jackets to work, especially if they worked outside in construction or some other outdoor job . Made sense as back in those days that was some of the warmest outdoor clothing available .

Pa12

I’ve seen many examples of people using their “work uniforms “ for dirty work. Even my wife and I have uniforms from our days at the airline. She uses hers for gardening and I use mine for particularly dirty jobs. My uncle was a cop and would sometimes work for my dad on his days off building houses. Always wore his police uniform. Buddy of mine is an Aircanada captain. Wears his uniform working his farm. Everything from pitching hay to slopping the hogs. I think it’s because they were free issue so many think,what the hell. Not ruining the clothes I paid for. I’m sure ex military folks feel the same way. They don’t see their stuff in the same light we do.

Micawber

As I and others have said a billion times before here in the UK Irvin type jackets were available cheaply as 'surplus' up until fairly recent times. With that in mind, barring those that were not hung onto by their original service owners, these jackets were bought for very little money from surplus outlets, market stalls, Exchange & Mart adverts for use by anyone who wanted an affordable, warm, well constructed jacket and durable jacket be they - using British terms here - motorcyclists, labourers, general public, flyers, lorry or other commercial vehicle drivers, sports car drivers etc etc. I recall seeing them available on market stalls, shops like Milletts [when they were genuine surplus stockists and not trendy camping stuff like today] etc etc. They tend to be a bit more durable that the likes of USAAF B-3 and other shearling jackets.

Bax Biron

flying jacket b.jpg
flying jacket a.jpg
flying jacket 3.jpg
flying jacket 4.jpg
flying jacket 5.jpg
Well I've started the preservation work? regardless;)
I joined many sites/groups to get as much info as possible before commencing anything, other than the leather treatment everything I plan will be reversible.
I was advised on other groups to feed the jacket so I bought a recommended product and initially was just going to treat a small area, this product was amazing or the jacket needed something so desperately it seemed amazing.
The jacket if you slid your hand across it felt dry almost crispy, that disappeared almost instantly when treated. Initially the applicator sponge snagged as it was moved over the jacket surface, now the jacket is soft and supple again, you can handle it without fear.
The product has a nice smell, it darkened the jacket slightly but I'm assuming this will dry out lighter. As this product contains beeswax it also lubricated the zips so the one that does still function glides easily.
The jacket is on a hanger while it dries out, 24 hours later the jacket feels very slightly tacky but I've not been tempted to 'buff' it up with a dry cloth as the directions said. What did surprise me was little to no loss of the jackets coating? I think I found two specs on the applicator sponge that being honest could have just been dirt.
Next is an attempt to fix the main zip, teeth missing which everyone has said can't be fixed. As said what I try can be undone but going to have a ago and will keep you guys posted.