• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 A-2 tanning

jeremiah

Squeeks are common in leather. They sometimes get less noticeable or quieter over time with use but it’s more a symptom of the tip finish than anything else including quality. High quality and low quality leather will talk if the finish is conducive.

Officer Dibley

Said elsewhere that a coat of saddle soap stopped the squeaking for a long while.

I reckong the stitching moving as the leather gets pulled about is what was doing it.

Last edited:

jeremiah

Squeaking is also associated with leather rubbing against leather when movement occurs. Again the type of finish dictates. It’s why you would never have squeaks with suede.

i have a pair of aldens which squeaked fiercely. Now that they have worn in and some of the finish around the creases has broken down no more squeaks. I could get them back if I wanted just by putting on a coat of leather sealant I use with my hand dyed belts which is essentially shellac.

Officer Dibley

There is nothing “wrong” with it but given a choice , I (as in me personally) would prefer silence to creaking if only because people look at ya when you are creaking. Some people perhaps prefer attracting attention to themselves...

There is no wrong or right yet like on other threads, some people think only their view/preference is the right one.

What is it with some people ? :rolleyes:

Dany McDonald

My aero (jerky) sqeaks. squeeks or creaks only indoor in winter time, dry... In summer, more humid, it's silent...

The rubbing of leather is also attractive for some, hence the sensations squeaking or creaking evokes... :)

D

SteveN

Related to the question of tanning methods: is the general consensus that it was something about the tanning process that makes the vintage jackets 'grainy'? I've been wearing a vintage M422A lately and have noticed that even areas that appear smooth from a distance actually have a lot of wrinkles close up. I've not seen a repo leather that comes close, but then I haven't seen a repo up close for 10 years or so either.

jeremiah

Not at all. Well after the tanning process they could split the leather removing the full grain and embossing print(fake grain pattern) onto it, but leather either has natural pronounced grain or it doesn’t.
they can press the leather and the grain may take time to pop when worn and exposed to various elements.
As for not seeing repro grain/wrinkles feast yer eyes on this.
2092ADD9-A8E2-4F2F-BEE6-7C13594613B3.jpeg
82EE86FB-816A-4332-9D1D-AA07F7A8C2B3.jpeg
70602B73-4FCE-434B-B9EF-B2AD87774E27.jpeg
2092ADD9-A8E2-4F2F-BEE6-7C13594613B3.jpeg
82EE86FB-816A-4332-9D1D-AA07F7A8C2B3.jpeg
70602B73-4FCE-434B-B9EF-B2AD87774E27.jpeg
41DE4843-DF72-4319-BCF3-E8D498157E7F.jpeg
A0BB22AA-75BF-41E0-9847-E0302157D5A4.jpeg

Last edited:

SteveN

Not at all. Well after the tanning process they could split the leather removing the full grain and embossing print(fake grain pattern) onto it, but leather either has natural pronounced grain or it doesn’t.
they can press the leather and the grain may take time to pop when worn and exposed to various elements.
As for not seeing repro grain/wrinkles feast yer eyes on this.
View attachment 30303View attachment 30304View attachment 30305View attachment 30303View attachment 30304View attachment 30305View attachment 30306View attachment 30307
So which repo manufacturer is this one?

jeremiah

The two jackets I showed?
Those are Bill Kelso. One (dark seal) is victory HH.
the russet one is a veg tanned HH with a pigment finish.