• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW11 ORIGINAL PAINTED A-2 JACKET

TankBuster

I love the patch on that one Andrew. Great jacket. Good luck with it!!

Here's another I was watching to add to the list. I dug up some info on the original owner if anyone here were to win it, I can share it. Very late war fighter pilot. Only flew 3 missions before the end. Still a very neat jacket though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

PS: I just had seen that at the bottom of the page he had included info that wasn't there before. Looks like someone has the same 20th FG book as me! :lol: I didn't find any info on a Capt Horne like the other guy had though?

CBI

Andrew - the one at the top of your post looks to reside about 1 hour away from me in Chochtaw, Oklahoma. Pretty cool looking and if I had time, would love to see it in person!

Andrew

CBI said:
Andrew - the one at the top of your post looks to reside about 1 hour away from me in Chochtaw, Oklahoma. Pretty cool looking and if I had time, would love to see it in person!
John, i'm not going to bid as I just bought an original sz48 Roughwear last week and it's cleaned me out. It'd better be good as i'd actually rather have one with art and my surname on it! I'm sure the price of this will go off in the end, at least I expect it will.

Andrew

I'm looking forward to it too! It's a 27752 I think from memory. Haven't got it yet so I'm in that period of expectantly wondering if it's any good. Actually, this is exactly the place to discuss it since it's an original painted A-2 but unfortunately the paint's not intentionally applied. It's another one of those victims of being used post war workware- you know, "ok, I'm going to paint the house so I'd better go and put on my old A-2".
When I get it I'll post some shots and maybe seek advice on sympathetic paint removal :D

Roughwear

I was watching this particular RW and was amazed by the amount of post war white paint on it. I'm sure it will clean up nicely Andrew. The measurements given were similar to a 46 so it should fit you well. It was in generally good condition, with a super clean label.

Andrew

I'm hoping so too Andrew, it was a good price for a jacket of that size and otherwise good condition. I expect the paint put buyers off, and I just hope I can get most of it off without destroying the surface.

CBI

need to see that jacket of course but two ways to remove the paint are rubbing alchohol or working the leather (carefully/slowly) and cracking it off. If have used both methods extensively with original jackets starting back from my earlier days of collecting to something much more recent. I also recently removed a large full back paint job from a GW by "working" the leather (vs. using some sort of solvent). For old leather it depends on the condition of the hide.

Silver Surfer

acetone-water mix, with a q-tip. if the paint is not coming off, go to straight acetone. apply gently only on the affected area. you may need a dull pocket knife to scrape the loosened paint off. if the jac is veg-analine you may have some original color coming off. a touch up with oil paint or leather paint of the same color [you should mix and or blend to match] will do the trick. let dry, and dab some pecards if needed. ive done it, it works. oh, one other ingredient: patience.

Andrew

Thanks for the advice guys, i'll post some shots when it arrives and try these out. It appears to be spread across a wide area so i'm guessing Victor that patience may be the most important bit...

BpUrS1mkKGrHqYH-D4EuUf0ErBLq44e6zw_.jpg

CBI

now that is a project! But, if it works out, you will have a great looking jacket! :)

Silver Surfer

bitchn jac. didnt realize the extent of the paint splatter. however, removal can be done. a coupla hours every day or two, as you have your work cut out for ya, and it can be tedious. when tired of it, quit! its easy to try to rush it, and push for a finish date..... and then screw it up. patience grasshopper, hahahaha. best of luck with your new-old baby. ps: it took me almost six months to clean up an a-2 in similar shape, but it was worth the effort.

Grant

If SS said it can be done, it can. I've seen some amazing restorations he's done to jackets you'd of thought were hopeless.