• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wow !! Almost as much as a used Good Wear or ELC

MauldinFan

Dropping big bucks on a jacket is hard enough .. but for a patch ?
I’ll pass .
Patch collectors are a breed to themselves. I've seen people pay up to 5 figures for a rare patch at shows over the years.
Patches are easy to store and display and they don't take up much room.
I have some really nice WW2 patches (including the really rare British made war correspondent ones, and a few bullion 8th AF ones) but I don't throw down a lot on them and I'm not a "patch collector" as such.

B-Man2

Patch collectors are a breed to themselves. I've seen people pay up to 5 figures for a rare patch at shows over the years.
Patches are easy to store and display and they don't take up much room.
I have some really nice WW2 patches (including the really rare British made war correspondent ones, and a few bullion 8th AF ones) but I don't throw down a lot on them and I'm not a "patch collector" as such.
Totally agree with you . About 10 years ago I went to the Show of Shows in Louisville Kentucky . While I was walking around I saw an original 507th PIR patch for sale. Since I have my dads original patch from that unit I asked the seller how much he wanted for his patch . His reply shocked me. He was asking $1,200 for the patch. Years later I was at another show and a guy I knew asked me if I still had my dads original patch from the 507th . When I told him that I did he simply said name your price. I’m not sure why that patch is so collectible compared to the 506th or 503rd patches other than maybe most of the guys in that regiment were lost on DDay .
Just my guess .

Spitfireace

I assume that is not for sale Burt. Patch collecting is tempting, but you have to be a real expert. Otherwise you are going to be buying good fakes for the price of originals. Most of the patches out there are not real originals. I'm especially suspicious of purported originals that don't have stitch holes. Never been sewn to a flight jacket. The ones that were made in WW2 were meant to be used, not collected, so it puts up a red flag to me.

B-Man2

I assume that is not for sale Burt. Patch collecting is tempting, but you have to be a real expert. Otherwise you are going to be buying good fakes for the price of originals. Most of the patches out there are not real originals. I'm especially suspicious of purported originals that don't have stitch holes. Never been sewn to a flight jacket. The ones that were made in WW2 were meant to be used, not collected, so it puts up a red flag to me.
No ….I still have the patch and my dads jump wings .

Spitfireace

Yes but not with the 507th. He had been injured on a training jump prior to d day and he was medically taken off jump status and transferred out of the airborne to the 4th Division, 22 Inf Regiment . He went into Utah Beach the morning of the invasion at at around 8 or 9 am that morning .
What kind of injury stops someone from jumping? To be in the infantry you need your legs. You can't be limping already trying to get on the beach. Also you need your arms for carrying a rifle.

B-Man2

What kind of injury stops someone from jumping? To be in the infantry you need your legs. You can't be limping already trying to get on the beach. Also you need your arms for carrying a rifle.
Some type of Spinal compression injury … he had a bad back most of his adult life in his later years, but as a young man he was still good enough for the infantry and combat .

herk115

You would have liked my father's 97th BG and 341st BS patches. Was issued them in the war and never sewed them on anything, not even once. I finally sent them to a collector to find them a good home upon my passing. So, they do exist, but as you point out, one must be very careful.

Spitfireace

You would have liked my father's 97th BG and 341st BS patches. Was issued them in the war and never sewed them on anything, not even once. I finally sent them to a collector to find them a good home upon my passing. So, they do exist, but as you point out, one must be very careful.
I stand corrected.

Spitfireace

Early war they were not issued. Usually made by moms and girlfriends and wives. Sewn by hand. Later when adopted as an insignia, then was produced by machine.

Spitfireace

I mean embroidered of course. I think the best of the patches. Not consistent colors of thread, backing one hundred per cent wool felt. All glowing in the dark patches are not real of course.