• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Winter is here!!!

handworn

I double-dare you to lick the engine. :D

fleet16b said:
Well, you guys are all lucky ...those are all warm temps to a Canadian
Up here in Canada it's definitely Irvin Sheepskin time. Mines been out of the closest almost a month.
It is going to be -15c in the a.m. with winds gusting to 35 km
and I will be pulling the engine out of my bi-plane ......OUTSIDE !!!!
As we say up here in the Great White North " you have to be born here " in order to take the climate
You xcan always tell the transplants as they are bundled up in September ....LOL

RudyN

It has been cold here in the San Francisco Bay Area. It actually got down to 32° F for three days in a row. It has now started raining so the temps at night will only be in the 40s F. We have only two seasons here, wet and dry.

zoomer

34° and melting in central IA today. I just finished a series of field mods on my Eastman steerhide A-1 (the extra full-cut model). These involved moving all the buttons and the back snap panel in 1", creating an inner windflap and nicely improving the fit. Then tonight I wore it out around the nabe - just right for the weather.

Back down thru the teens for tomorrow and Mon. - major slippage ahead.

Atticus

flightmac said:
Atticus, I'm going to be in Hilton Head around New Years. Would you know what the weather's like there? Thanks.

P.S. - Yes, I've looked up the climate data online, but I'd like to get a personal opinion.
Flightmac, I wish I could tell you! The problem with predicting winter weather for the Southeast coast is, on any given day, it could be sunny and beautiful...or it could be blowing a snowy nor'easter. I'm 250 miles northeast of Hilton Head and I never put away my shorts and T-shirts until after New Years...and they usually reappear in early March. On the other hand, I've seen it snow two feet...and our rivers and sounds freeze over...on Christmas eve.

Having said all of the above, I'll go out on a limb just for fun. Let's see if my fifty-fours years in eastern N.C. will let me come up with an accurate prediction for January 1st in Hilton Head, S.C.

The low New Year's eve will be 51 degrees. The high on New Year's day will be 67 degrees. It will be cloudy to mostly cloudy on both days with a light wind from the east-southeast. On one of the two days...probably New Year's day...there will be light rain...less than half an inch. Within five days of New Year's eve, the wind will stiffen to twenty knots, and will shift to the north-east. It will rain a short, hard rain. Then the wind will haul to the north-west, the temperature will drop into the low forties and the sky will clear to a beautiful Carolina Blue.

Let's see how I do...

AF

Weasel_Loader

Typical desert winter here. Freezing cold (22 degrees) in the morning warming up to mid and upper 50s in the day. Cools down to upper 40s by early evening. The last week has been a wet one though. Almost got some snow on the first storm, but then a warmer pacific storm came in yesterday and warmed it back up. :roll:

PADDY_M

As Andrew says, it's Irvin weather. And I'm loving it. Currently snowing outside so the DGL suit may very well be out in the morn with the dogs. Marvellous stuff!

Marv

Just had a dusting this evening so hoping we get some over the weekend, if we do then the Irvin will make an appearance I think.