• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wingnut has left the building

asiamiles

havocpaul said:
I've never understood the need for the forum to have political discussions as they will always fall into rants, insults and controversy; don't think I ever read anything there as this forum to me is about the passion that is flight jackets.

I'm guessing this might be down to the fact that many of the jackets we discuss on here are military jackets, and some/many people's interest in these is not just because they're good looking old jackets but primarily because they are military jackets? And maybe military folks are bit more forthcoming when it comes to airing their political views, and maybe using a different tone of voice? A drill instructor doesn't tell someone something the same way as a cooking teacher does. So perhaps discussions heat up just a little too quickly sometimes?

It also seems Americans are more firm about which side of the fence they stand on, and sticking up for their side, while us Brits largely tend to keep our political beliefs to ourselves...me, I've never voted and don't ever intend to, so I don't begin to know what all the fuss is about.

Maybe it just all comes down to passion, and if we're passionate about something then it's sometimes difficult to hold back. We want to say what think and feel. Here we can be passionate about jackets. On other forums we can be passionate about movies, music the football team we support, whatever...but unless they might somehow reflect on the subject at hand here, we keep them where they belong, in their own forums. I'm not going to get into a heated discussion about some great film that someone says is rubbish, or rip into some band that someone may say they like, because this isn't the place to do so. Surely, there must be plenty of places out there for people to discuss politics without the need to bring them to VLJ.

Weasel_Loader

I guess I'll chime in. I stopped getting involved with the political discussions way before it got ugly here. Just didn't see the need to keep pressing what I think is right on someone with totally different ideas. I stopped visiting the threads because they just got so bad and ended up being between two or three people trying to convert the other.

The one thing that really stated to bother me is when it would bleed over to other parts of the forum. All it took was a little baiting from one member and before you know it, the thread got hijacked. I have to say Jeff used to really torque me to no end with his banter since I never agreed with anything he had to say politically, but the guy was really a super cool guy away from politics. He hooked me up with some old patches and jacket hardware and all for nothing. I've always been the kind that kind disagree but not take things personally and he was one of them (believe it or not). Wingnut was/is another great guy that I got to know very well through P.M.s and I never agreed with everything he stood up for.

There's my .02 cents. ;)

sealbeachbum said:
I consider Carl (wingnut) my friend. He is a very nice guy in person. He just retired from the Navy last year after serving our country for 30 years as a Navy Seal. He has fought for our freedom and the freedom of others that are less fortunate than us. He has fought to keep us free from any more terrorist attacks on our soil since 9-11-01. He was a Corpsman so his job was to save lives as well as take the lives of our enemies. Even as a civilian he is now working at Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base teaching combat medicine to our Marines. In my book Carl is a hero and I am proud to call him my friend!

Nice to see a friend sticking up for a friend.....thats what mates do..

BEVAN.

BONNIEGIRL4

We all know politics on this forum went south 9 out of 10 times, so let's not kid each other.
Enthusiasm is a different story, the nine years I've been involved in all of the permutations of this forum one thing held true and kept up the "juice", the search for the Holy Grail, the perfect repro. All the anticipation with each new model from the manufactures, and the debate on the good and the bad of the jacket, well no one saw it coming but Goodwear killed all that. As you guys' say:"1942 in a box". it had to happen eventually, at least I believe that was a major contributor - for better or for worse.Where do you go from John's works of art ? - TOM

Atticus

sealbeachbum said:
I consider Carl (wingnut) my friend. He is a very nice guy in person. He just retired from the Navy last year after serving our country for 30 years as a Navy Seal. He has fought for our freedom and the freedom of others that are less fortunate than us. He has fought to keep us free from any more terrorist attacks on our soil since 9-11-01. He was a Corpsman so his job was to save lives as well as take the lives of our enemies. Even as a civilian he is now working at Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base teaching combat medicine to our Marines. In my book Carl is a hero and I am proud to call him my friend!
Amazing. I knew some of this, but not all. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Even though Wingnut never shied from stating his opinions (sometimes loudly), he never impressed me as being a braggart.

In the past, Carl and I were usually on opposite sides of the political fence. I'll bet we still are. But I have no doubt that he's one who can also walk the walk. As I've told him before, I can think of few people, other than him, who I'd rather have beside me in a scrap.

And he likes nylon jackets as much as do Danny, George, Jim and I. Nobody who likes vintage nylon can be bad.

AF

airfrogusmc

Theres was another retired Navy vet that posted here to and he also didn't want to go along with the program. We're all adults and make choices. The rules are not ambiguous and many chances were given to both. Way more chances than they would have gotten on many other sites.

asiamiles

BONNIEGIRL4 said:
Enthusiasm is a different story, the nine years I've been involved in all of the permutations of this forum one thing held true and kept up the "juice", the search for the Holy Grail, the perfect repro. All the anticipation with each new model from the manufactures, and the debate on the good and the bad of the jacket, well no one saw it coming but Goodwear killed all that. As you guys' say:"1942 in a box". it had to happen eventually, at least I believe that was a major contributor - for better or for worse.Where do you go from John's works of art ?

But Tom, this forum is about things other than the search for a perfect repro A-2. Many on here don't even like A-2's, while others only buy original jackets. I don't think the subject has exhausted itself by any means, but simply some members' interest in them has waned over time, which is understandable.

dav3469

Just a newer member here, but I use VLJ as an "escape" from everyday concerns like politics and such. Political discussions in their place on a forum don't bother me, I figure if I don't like it, steer clear. But I agree with those who see the unfortunate situation where it spills over into other parts of a forum.

And as far as getting stale goes; there are always newer members like me who need schooling on things and really enjoy the information available here. Kind of old hat for the long time members, but I think helping us new folks (even if something that has been talked about before) keeps the place interesting.

usafwso

Frankly, I thought that this forum died a while back. There seems not be be much activity over the past nine months. Where did everyone go?

Atticus

I still check in here almost every day, but I finally came to grips with the fact that I don't look good in most flight jackets. I think its an age thing. I still wear a few of my favorites, but I don't buy jackets like I used to. I'm afraid that vintage jacket collecting might be a younger person's hobby...and I'm damn sure not that.

AF

Andrew

Atticus said:
I still check in here almost every day, but I finally came to grips with the fact that I don't look good in most flight jackets. I think its an age thing. I still wear a few of my favorites, but I don't buy jackets like I used to. I'm afraid that vintage jacket collecting might be a younger person's hobby...and I'm damn sure not that.

AF

This is a very cool looking older bloke doing his bit... ;)

Page13-1.jpg

tgd31968

Atticus said:

AF
I get what you are saying, I think you have to have a certain look for the jackets to look right. The a-2's are more universal, but B-3's to me just look out of place. I have one I wear, but it just doesn't work as a daily wearer. I hate to say that, but I am deciding that it is just too impractical, out of date, and uncomfortable. I will keep it and wear it on occasion, but it was a realization I would not have come to without having one. The A-2 works better in the right weather for a daily wearer, but I think only slim guys, which I am not, really look GOOD in it.
And yes, in spite of the older guy in the pic above, older guys just don't look right in them either. Frankly, the guy in the pic doesn't really either.

I too have scaled back my posts etc. This hobby gets expensive, and with all the that have occured and are coming, I think many are saving rather than buying. And, if I participate in the forums, I get the bug to buy. So, when I am feelling undiciplined financially, I have to avoid coming on here.

Roughwear

BONNIEGIRL4 said:
Everyone is waiting for their Goodwear

I'm sure that must be true. Many I guess have them on order. It would be nice to see more originals posted on the forum, but if people aren't buying them so much, as has been suggested, then that's probably why.

A

Anonymous

BONNIEGIRL4 said:
Everyone is waiting for their Goodwear

:roll: :roll: All roads seem, eventually, to lead to Good wear.

Maybe this preoccupation with Good Wear isn't helping .......certainly debate has disappeared.

I'm amazed that there isn't more on the utility / moto jackets and foreign flight jackets. Is there a separate forum for those that people frequent ?

J_H

Roughwear

Good Wear aside, I suspect there are some members who have some interesting jackets in their collections who might like to share the pictures on the forum.

havocpaul

Through no fault at all of John Chapman it has been unfortunate that many threads (all roads!) lead to Goodwear no matter what the original post might have been, I think we all know by now they are excellent repros but the forum should be a place to discuss other jackets without hijacking, even this posting ended up that way! Maybe because John is also a Moderator a few here are out to impress by heaping praise ad infinitum but it sometimes gets a little tedious.