• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wing Commander Guy Gibson, just one colour

dinomartino1

WING COMMANDER GUY GIBSON, VC, DSO AND BAR, DFC AND BAR, COMMANDER OF 617 SQUADRON (DAMBUSTERS) AT SCAMPTON, LINCOLNSHIRE, 22 JULY 1943

large_000000-7.jpg

Wing Commander Guy Gibson with members of his crew. Left to right: Wing Commander Guy Gibson, VC, DSO and Bar, DFC and Bar; Pilot Officer P M Spafford, bomb aimer; Flight Lieutenant R E G Hutchinson, wireless operator; Pilot Officer G A Deering and Flying Officer H T Taerum, gunners.

Micawber

Good photo, one of a series of colour images taken at the time. Much better than some of the digitally colourised images that contain dubious interpretations that are so popular these days.

Persimmon

Good photo, one of a series of colour images taken at the time. Much better than some of the digitally colourised images that contain dubious interpretations that are so popular these days.

Indeed.

55291494-CD7F-486A-8C4B-EF3F4C534F5A.jpeg

Mind you don’t be fooled .... the war really was in black and white !!

153B11F1-894C-4A2B-9656-C710F1CEFE9B.jpeg

Good old Nigger.
Does anyone know if they have sorted out the new Dambusters version yet ?

Persimmon

Would be great!..

Not sure about that. To make up episodes it might get padded out with romance and other such nonsense.

And it will need to get to politically correct to try and sell to overseas markets.

Can just the marketing meeting ....

Hells bells.
Now we can’t call the dog Nigger now can we.
What was that Gibson chap thinking about ?

Oh I see. Did he win ?

Right.
What about Blackie.
No. Still to sensitive chaps I fear.

Perhaps something like ... “there’s a good dog” might work
Isn’t that a bit bland.

Yes exactly.
Well done.

Now do we actually need planes for this show ?
Well sir it was about a flying campaign to destroy important dam’s.
That’s why the chaps were called Dambusters

Ok. Get me a couple of those Flying Fortresses I keep reading about - that will do.

Well sir these chaps were made up of British and Dominion soldiers.

Ok stick a Union Jack flag on the sides of the plane and a picture of their Queen.

Right let’s get to the important bit. We need lots of women in the show.

Pilot

Not sure about that. To make up episodes it might get padded out with romance and other such nonsense.

And it will need to get to politically correct to try and sell to overseas markets.

Hells bells.

Oh I see. Did he win ?

Right.
What about Blackie.

Isn’t that a bit bland.

Yes exactly.
Well done.

Ok. Get me a couple of those Flying Fortresses I keep reading about - that will do.

Ok stick a Union Jack flag on the sides of the plane and a picture of their Queen.

Agree with you...should be a kind of report and homage to all these wonderful People/Heros and no romance.

Micawber

Lol.

Joking aside remakes are generally a lazy option often seeking to ride off the back of original productions. There are still plenty of stories of daring do that have yet to be told, and likely never will.

B-Man2

Hells bells.

Oh I see. Did he win ?

Right.
What about Blackie.

Isn’t that a bit bland.

Yes exactly.
Well done.

Well Done!!
There’s that sense of humor I like!

johnwayne

I thought/read it was being made by Peter Jackson so imagine he'll do a pretty job and given what he achieved with They Shall Not Grow Old he could even use real footage mingled with CGI and extracts from the original (if allowed) and come up with something quite realistic. As to being politically correct then personally I believe authenticity should take preference, the dogs name it what was for goodness sake! If someone takes offence then they need to get a life!!