• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WILLIS & GEIGER Type A-2 Flight Leather JACKET Medium

Roughwear

One my first A2s was a repro Willis and Geiger. It was a comfortable jacket to wear by not an accurate repro. The issues with this jacket are its incorrect lining, scovill zipper and the colour of the leather, which does not match any original as far as I know. Its ok for a daily beater.

Tariacuri

That batch of W&G jackets was supposedly made by Lost Worlds. Notice that it wears to a black leather underneath the topcoat - not a lighter leather like the originals. Makes the jacket look dirty (IMO).

Who cares if you liked it enough to buy it!? Enjoy!

Exactly. Besides, the leather on your W & G has a lot of character, and some original Dubows used black-based leather. Looks the stuff, as opposed to some soul-less, higher-end repro's.

If you are wanting to replace the worn cuffs and liner, I believe you can send it to Gibson and Barnes for repair. Unfortunately, they no longer repair original A-2's, but I believe they will repair other maker's repro's--not sure on that, though.

stubbyeighth

fishmeok

They have a pretty decent cut and knits compared to some others like Avirex, but the weak spot is the liner- that nylon sateen stuff wears though pretty fast. Fortunately the liner is easy to replace, and you will get years of wear out of the thing. Plus anything W&G is hot these days, you can re-sell it for whatever you put into it.
Cheers
Mark

CBI

I bought a W&G A-2 from fishmeok recently. He re-dyed the jacket seal brown and now it has a great look to it, really outstanding. I have one other used W&G on the way. These jackets are not in the premium repro class but I have to say, with some work, they can look pretty convincing and be very satisifying jackets. If a potential jacket buyer did not want or was/is unable to spend cash on a premium repro, then I would recommend W&G. Always a great buy. Mine fits exceptionally well and was purchased for jacket painting projects.

pharmotard

Thanks for your answers, i don't care the lining, what is the most important thing is the cut and the leather.
I bought to Roughwear a marvellous HH Eastman Monarch 42R last year but the sleeves are a bit short for my long arms and it seems that this W&G is a 42R whith long sleeves.

I'm impatient to look at the leather but it seems not so bad on the pictures.

How is the leather thickness of W&G compared to Eastman ?

I don't want to be unpleasant but i don't like the leather of Goodwear, it seems too tiny and fragile.
it is like leather shoes, you can do what you want, nothing can replace pattern made by the time.

If someone is interested in my Monarch, pictures will be soon in "Buy/sell".

CBI

W&G leather is thin and lightweight and the cut is very trim but comfortable. Prefer to Goodwear? To each his own. Goodwear offers many different types of leather, all superior to W&G and much more authentic. Really, W&G and Goodwear are different levels of jackets. If you are going with W&G at least you are saving some money.

W&G: wrong style of zipper, pockets are a bit too small, lining not correct, collar shape and epps size, etc not authentic, cut/drape modern, armholes too large, etc. Still, with some wear, aging, W&G can look very cool.

pharmotard

You were right, the colour on the pictures were not as beautiful as i believed ... i was a little disappointed but the cut is exactly what i'm looking for, trim with sleeves long enough for my monkey's arms, after a redye, it gives that :

before

and after