• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Willis & Geiger M-422A named to USMC pilot WWII & Korea

bazelot

Beautiful M-422A named to Donald G. Clarke who saw action with VMF-524 in 1944 in the South pacific. His service number was 020960. By April 1945 he was overseas with "Headquarters Squadron 23, Marine Aircraft Group 23, Fourth Marine Aircraft Wing.
In July 1945 he's with "Marine Fighting Squadron-324, Marine Aircraft Group-23, 3Rd Marine Aircraft Wing, Fleet Marine Force.

He's on the reserve rolls until Oct. 1951 when he is at "Hmr-262 Airfmflant, Usmcas Cherry Point NC".

He was certified as a helicopter pilot in January 1952, and was with HMX-1, Quantico.
In July 52 he was deployed overseas with "Hmr-161 1Stmaw, C/O Fpo Sfran California" and was still with them in the October 52 muster roll.
After becoming the first helicopter squadron to deploy troops into combat, HMR-161 successfully flew from the USS Sicily (CVE-118) to test new concept of combining vertical envelopment with amphibious assault during Operation "Marlex-5" off the coast of Inchon on September 1, 1952. While not the first ever ship to shore helicopter flight with Marines aboard, that having been done by HMR-162 during Operation Lex Baker off the coast of Southern California in February, 1952, it was the first on foreign shores. During the course of the Korean War, HMR-161 flew 16,538 hours during 18,607 sorties eventually accounting for over 60,000 troop movements and moving 7.5 million pounds of cargo.[4][5] The Greyhawks then participated in the defense of the Korean Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) from July 1953 to March 1955. The Squadron then relocated that month to Marine Corps Air Station Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii, and attached to Marine Aircraft Group 13 (MAG 13). While in Hawaii, HMR-161 was redesignated on December 31, 1956 as Marine Helicopter Transport Squadron (Light) 161 (HMR(L)-161), MAG 13, 1st MAW. In May 1960, the Squadron received the new Sikorsky H-34 Seahorse.

By Jan. 1953 he was a major and with "Hqsq-12 Mag-12 1Stmaw Fmf, Korea." He was still with that unit in April 53.
By Oct. 53 he was back stateside as Executive Officer with "Hmr-261 Mag(Hr)-26 2Dmaw Afmfl Mcas, Cherry Point NC".

I love the history on this one. I had the fur collar and the cuffs replaced on the jacket. Once again my seamstress did a stellar job and she even fixed the lining at the collar (the lining at the bottom is a different color from the rest but is original to the jacket and was made liker that. I knew that W&G had mismatched leather but I did not know they also used mismatched material for the lining). I am usually against fixing named jackets but the collar was just falling apart and the knits were just shreds so this one really needed it and i can't complain about the rest.
There is also a nice USNR stamped on the back on the jacket.

bazelot

I found a ton more info:

Among his many distinguished accomplishments, he was proud that he was the first person in the nation to become involved with Toys for Tots, the annual Marine Corps program for children. In 1948, he was assigned the task to determine the feasibility of "Toys for Tots" as a re-enlistment and public relations tool at Squantum Naval Air Station (NAS). Based on his report and its initial success, the Commanding General, stated there will be a "Toys for Tots" as long as there is a Marine Corps. Later, as owner-operator of the local skating rinks, he ensured that the "Toys for Tots" event was scheduled at the rinks annually.

Colonel Clarke was born in Revere, Mass., on October 20, 1921, son of Gordon and Lillian Clarke. After high school, he attended Northeastern University and Wentworth Technical Institute.

He entered the US Navy flight training program in May, 1942 where his first CO was Lt. J.G. Gerald Ford, later the 39th President of the United States.

He graduated from the US Naval Flight Academy on April 2, 1943, and was selected for Marine Aviation as a fighter pilot. Soon after teaching fighter tactics at NAS Pensacola, he went to Advanced Training at NAS Jacksonville, where he met Nadine Spaulding, daughter of Captain and Mrs. Lonnie Spaulding. Don and Nadine were married in Columbia, S.C. in 1944.

During World War II, he was a carrier fighter pilot, distinguishing himself in several aerial combat campaigns and, for a brief period, served under Gregory "Pappy" Boyington of the famed "Black Sheep" Marine fighter squadron in the South Pacific.

During the Korean War, he distinguished himself as a Helicopter Air-Sea Rescue pilot with the 1st Marine Division earning several Distinguished Service Medals and the Distinguished Flying Cross. In addition to retrieving wounded, dead, and dying Marines under fire, he was the pilot for the South Korean President, delegates of the peace delegation to Panmunjom, several generals, Mickey Rooney, and Boris Karloff for USO shows for the troops during the Korean conflict.

After the Korean War, and as a Marine Corps Reservist, he was the Chief Rotary Wing Test Pilot for the Army Aviation Program. While serving in this capacity, he held 3 world records in Rotary Wing Aircraft (helicopters) and was chosen to test and fly the world's largest helicopter for Igor Sikorsky, developer of the Sikorsky helicopters. He was credited with being the only pilot ever to fly an aircraft from the factory to both branches of service, the Marine Corps and the US Army.

He is credited with initiating and developing the Department of Defense helicopter Instrument program, holding the very first Helicopter Instrument certification "ticket". The program is still being used by all military service branches using the helicopter.

Later, as Chief Test Pilot at the FAA Experimental Flight Center, he tested many All Weather Flight Systems, where his immediate superior was Hans Gieseke, one of the developers of the German V-2 rocket used in World War II.

Sent to Vietnam as the Chief Aircraft Accident Investigator for U.S. Army Board of Air Accident Research (USABAAR), he spent many days in jungles investigating downed aircraft to determine if the cause was accidental or combat related. Through his experience there, he set up and established a number of safety and maintenance programs to prevent further accidents and mishaps. It was during his assignment at USABAAR he saw the need for an Army Test Pilot School, and, through his recommendations and work, pioneered the way for the Army Test Pilots School at Ft. Eustis, Va.

During his aviation career, he logged over 10,500 hours, flying 64 different types of aircraft. In addition to numerous awards and commendations, he is credited with developing numerous programs which are still utilized by the FAA and US Army. Many of his project reports on Rotary Wing Instruments are still used at Ft. Rucker, where pilots of all services receive their helicopter training.

Among his many awards are the Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross, 28 Air Medals, 12 Letters of Commendation, 8 US Presidential Unit Citations, Korean PVC, the Vietnam Distinguished Service Medal, Sikorsky Flying "S" for Rescue, US Marine Medal for Rescue, and US Marine Corps Medal for Bravery. -

bazelot

Him wearing the jacket:

Clarke11_zps5b9757b6.jpg

Clarke10_zpse78b7e2b.jpg

Clarke14_zpscf691686.jpg

Clarke3_zpsf45541f1.jpg

Clarke7_zps0939ce70.jpg

Clarke17_zps711fe720.jpg

Clarke18_zps5bb92d9c.jpg

Clarke21_zps7ae84077.jpg

Clarke22_zpsff3a131c.jpg

Clarke23_zps010d527f.jpg

Clarke28_zps68edfbc6.jpg

Clarke38_zps2a827416.jpg

Clarke36_zps510df56b.jpg

I have plenty more pictures, if you are interested let me know.

Rutger

Keep'm coming, they give meaning to the expression "provenance", it's nice to it this elaborate.

Stony

Another great Navy/USMC flight jacket grouping! I thought I was lucky finding cool stuff, but you've been on a roll lately.

fl1946

No disrespect to Colonel Clarke intended regarding his involvement with Toys for Tots (T4T), but it was Colonels William (Bill) Hendricks and John Hampton who were the co-founders of the organization. Because of Hendricks' connection in the entertainment field (Warner Bros), T4T gained tremendous recognition. Colonels Hendricks and Hampton were also founding members of the Marine Corps Combat Correspondents Assn, Los Angeles Chapter. This chapter became known (to this day) as the Toys for Tots chapter.

Colonel Clarke may have been part of the founders' group but it would be erroneous to suggest the colonel singularly persuaded the CG to officially support T4T. That credit goes to BrigGen Robert Denig, who was brought out of retirement in June, 1941 as the Marine Corps first public relations director. Denig is credited for obtaining the support and endorsement of the Commandant and the U.S. Marine Corps.

Semper fi,

Frank Lee
Board Member
U.S. Marine Corps Combat Correspondents Assn
Los Angeles

A

Anonymous

PLATON wrote:
Nice jacket
curious what is the back length?

It is 27". It is a big 42 (too big for me anyway)

The reason I asked is because on my original it is also 27". Fits me OK, I am chest 40 and height 5 10.
Some fellas though found that too long and accused BK of a bad pattern and bad fit.

I have shown them photos of the original with the measuring tape on, but in vain. Still accusing BK.