• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

why isnt this irvin selling?

Hawkeye

This particular jacket has been auctioned 3 or 4 times now and no one seems to buy it. I realize its an eastman restoration, with at least 2 repro lightnings installed, but i would think it would make it more desired from a wearing standpoint. From previous auctions pictures we know its in good shape, so why no interest?? I've emailed the seller for some measurements, and if it checks out I might have a go at it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Irvin-flying-Jack ... dZViewItem

Roughwear

I am also surprised it has not sold. Currently it is not well presented with one pic and no description. Perhaps it's a small size?

Hawkeye

Maybe not so small. His measurements are comparable to the repro I wear now, except a bit shorter. I'm going to go for it :) I really need (well, want) an original I can feel comfortable about wearing.

spitfire

congratulations on winning the jacket hawkeye.take a few pictures for us all to see please,you have made it a pretty intriguing piece to want to study now :D

Hawkeye

thanks spitty, many pics will be forthcoming once it arrives. If the sellers measurements are honest and accurate than it sounds like quite a large jacket, probobly a size 5. And if thats true then I've finally found myself a fitting, wearable original Irvin :D

Roughwear

Hawkeye said:
thanks spitty, many pics will be forthcoming once it arrives. If the sellers measurements are honest and accurate than it sounds like quite a large jacket, probobly a size 5. And if thats true then I've finally found myself a fitting, wearable original Irvin :D

Well done Hawkeye. If you let me know the measurements I can tell you if it is indeed a size 5. I own a late War jacket in a size 5. Generally late War Irvins in a size 5 are very scarce. The majority of ones I have owned and seen are size 4.

Hawkeye

heres a cut and paste of what he sent me for the measurements.

SIZE : WAR-TIME 42" (SNUG 44")
ARM LENGTH: 25" (FROM SHOULDER TO CUFF)
BACK LENGTH:25" (FROM BOTTOM OF COLLAR TO WAIST BAND)

And in the meantime, heres another shot of the jacket from a previous auction.
1402_3.jpg

spitfire

That is a beautiful irvin hawkeye.I can't wait for more pictures of it.
I have just won an irvin on ebay myself.It was the coastal command irvin with rips and patches all over it,and a broken/damaged front zip.I will post pictures of it and post them in Andrews irvin jacket thread when it arrives.Judging by what the seller said of it,i will have to apply a coat of pecard to the leather.
Here is the link to the auction,with pics and the info on how damaged it is.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=018

I am happy now i have a coastal command irvin at last.i have been after one for a few years now.

Roughwear

Hawkeye said:
heres a cut and paste of what he sent me for the measurements.

SIZE : WAR-TIME 42" (SNUG 44")
ARM LENGTH: 25" (FROM SHOULDER TO CUFF)
BACK LENGTH:25" (FROM BOTTOM OF COLLAR TO WAIST BAND)

And in the meantime, heres another shot of the jacket from a previous auction.
1402_3.jpg

The jacket looks great in this picture. The measurements posted equate to a size 4, my size 5 late war Irvin is 46 round the chest and the sleeves are longer too. It appears to be a nice, wearable jacket for a bargain price.

Roughwear

spitfire said:
I have just won an irvin on ebay myself.It was the coastal command irvin with rips and patches all over it,and a broken/damaged front zip.I will post pictures of it and post them in Andrews irvin jacket thread when it arrives.Judging by what the seller said of it,i will have to apply a coat of pecard to the leather.

I am happy now i have a coastal command irvin at last.i have been after one for a few years now.

Paul, I noticed this CC jacket. The contract 40288 was a large one and dates from 1943-5, judging by the labels I have seen. Enjoy restoring it.

Hawkeye

I dont suppose theres enough info in the photo to make a determination as to the maker and year is there Andrew?

Andrew

Hawkeye said:
I dont suppose theres enough info in the photo to make a determination as to the maker and year is there Andrew?

Unless an Irvin still has its label there is no way to ever say for certain who a maker was. There were many contractors pumping them out and there is no definitive contract specification or pattern document in the public realm that has been put out in the land of VLJ. An opinion can be made as an observation based on experience of handling certain types which have had their labels still attached but you should be very clear it's only an opinion. It's frustrating to not know but I prefer to just enjoy them for what they are rather than incorrectly refer to them as something they are not.

Yours would be a size 4 and may still fit you (you're a big bugger aren't you?), i'm 6'2" and I find the size 5 is a good fit.

This seller didn't put any work into his auction and got what he deserved, low price for a nice Irvin.

Hawkeye

yeah, I've had a size 4 before and while the chest size was adequate, the arms were a bit short. However the arms on this one are an inch and a half longer than that one so it may actually do nicely. Length isnt as much of an issue as I almost always wear an RN sweater under Irvins and it disguises any jacket shortness. I'm 6'3 and I found with the last jacket that a 25 inch back length still looks quite reasonable when worn that way. We'll see, but I have a good feeling about this one.

spitfire

Roughwear said:
spitfire said:

Paul, I noticed this CC jacket. The contract 40288 was a large one and dates from 1943-5, judging by the labels I have seen. Enjoy restoring it.

Thank you very much for telling me about it Andrew.I am sure i have seen the same CC irvin,with the seller saying the same thing,selling on ebay a few months ago: '' bought from a farm auction in kent 15 years ago ''.It still hasn't arrived,but when it does,i will apply pecard when i can,and post some pics of it for you all.