• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

who made my repro A-2?

lullijoakim

2D178796-C6E3-4F09-8C59-458617967172.jpeg
2B0ADF71-E518-475A-8C9A-1338A4D3CFAB.jpeg
1195159A-8FC3-4263-8C24-38856F04D68C.jpeg
5D133A1C-71BC-4F64-8F0D-AFFCAFB83499.jpeg
1FA42EC7-5EE6-43CB-B668-BC246E0CB1D6.jpeg
76B32591-D308-4607-A6AF-AF761DA73738.jpeg

MikeyB-17

Hi, how are you? I think you have an early Aero Leather Clothing Co. from Scotland. Reason I think this is because the side seams are top stitched facing backwards. Don’t know if they still do, but I know Aero did this ‘to stop the seam catching on things’. Originals were sewn the other way round. That’s my theory anyway.

lullijoakim

WOW such great response! I was told it was the scottish Aero but i figured it might be mixed up with the original contractor(i guess there must have been an american Aero as well?). But now i believe it! To me it looks and feels almost like new. do you have any idea on when they made the one with the flying tiger? probably within the last 10 years?

In the end it is not too important to me, I love the jacket and it looks so good, but it is fun to know its story.

Great forum here, thanks again!

MikeyB-17

Original wartime Aeros said ‘Beacon, NY’ on the label. The patches would have been put on later, it’s unlikely to have been patched by the factory. Don’t know the exact date, but that’s the sort of Talon zip several companies used in the 80’s/early 90’s.

Ken at Aero Leather

Who Made it?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Precisely?

Either myself or Christine Harley, circa 1987

These are Aero's own patches. We did have these in 1987, not sure if they are added by the factory or not
We started putting a leather borders on CBI patches around or shortly after that time so possibly these were fitted from new
Back stitching would prove one way or another

lullijoakim

Thank you so much for the great help, I mailed Aero with the inquiry so we'll see about those details. Anyway my main question is answered and I am SO happy that I have an Aero Leather A-2 and I am SO happy to have such a great piece of quality that doesn't seem to have aged at all in 30 years. What was the price for this jacket back in the days in the late 80's?

I was looking at this jacket in a vintage shop in stockholm for more than half a year. I got some money last autumn unexpectedly and there was no question about where i was going to invest them. haven't regretted that once so far.

Ludwig

Spitfireace

Original wartime Aeros said ‘Beacon, NY’ on the label. The patches would have been put on later, it’s unlikely to have been patched by the factory. Don’t know the exact date, but that’s the sort of Talon zip several companies used in the 80’s/early 90’s.
The label has since been corrected to be more accurate to the original. Also the stamp should read ARMY AIR FORCES with an S on the end. That's also since been corrected.

Ken at Aero Leather

Who Made it?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Precisely?

Either myself or Christine Harley, circa 1987

These are Aero's own patches. We did have these in 1987, not sure if they are added by the factory or not
We started putting a leather borders on CBI patches around or shortly after that time so possibly these were fitted from new
Back stitching would prove one way or another

Christine has looked over the jacket, I've seen some more photos
We think Christine made it