• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which type of paint to paint on a cloth jacket - tanker?

CBI

Hello All - I have not painted on a cloth jacket in about 6-7 years. I just purchased one of the new At The Front fleece lined tankers and plan on painting it a bit, nothing too outlandish.

For you jacket painters out there: Which type of paint do you recommend?

The big issues are bleeding and an even finish!

Thanks!

a2jacketpatches

Trusty ole Liquitex, nice heavy bodied acrylic. Many colors, opaque, transparent for tinting, and heat settable for permanence. That's what I'd use anyway for hand painting cloth or leather. I do use Createx brand airbrush paint if a large area needs covering with the airbrush and their transparents are great for say....shading with a paint brush. Nice to have the primary colors on hand, orange to shade and deepen yellow etc. A nice teflon sheet for heat setting after your done can be purchased on Ebay for under ten bucks. Hot iron over this will force trapped moisture out of the paint and make it permanent. Actually best to use a heat press at 300 for 3 minutes but I'm sure you don't have one. You can send to me and I'll do it if you'd like. There's also a product called SaveT that you can spay over the finished artwork to accomplish permanence. SaveT is also a good start by spraying a light coat on, teflon sheet and iron, and this will set the tiny loose fibers down against the fabric and give you a super smooth surface to work on. You wouldn't think right off the bat that this would be a problem but it does make a world of difference.

shedonwanna

Angelus standard acrylic paint and products are good on leather and cloth/canvas articles. Best results, no matter the brand of paint, if the area on the jacket is prepped or primed just like an artist canvas.

CBI

thanks for the info. mIght be a few months before I actually get to it but planning a bit now.