• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which type of nylon jacket collector are you?

mezz07

Which type of flight jacket collector are you?
mercyaddict2_60130_zpsed5d5c80.jpg

Peter Graham

Errr, not like the type in either photo. Originals only and the older the better. Not really interested in anything post 1965.

Rutger

BR anything USA(A)F but no fur please.
The odd Real McCoy jacket when it suits me. I got a Real McQueen MA-1 I now remember. Couldn't resist, but it's only the tag in the pocket that makes the difference.
Nomex flight jackets of US Army and USAF.
A few original seventies jackets (MA-1 / L2B) from Alpha (Gov'ment contract).

Jason

The blue stuff for me. L-2A, B-15c (both repros, but quite happy with both) and casually browsing for an original N-2A that's in decent condition - which seem to be a bit hard to find lately.

MikeyB-17

Retired. I used to have several (MA-1, couple of L-2B's, N-3B, Buzz B-15D) but I sold the lot. I do have three CWU-45P's.

colekwok

I have a couple of CWU-36/p and L-2Bs since they are more practical for milder kind of weather than the thick MA-1 and 45/p. Plus they are not as bulky as their colder weather counterparts.

FtrPlt

Also retired. Got rid of all my jackets except for the ones I was issued.

I've spent the last few years tracking down missing patches to put my '79 CWU-36 back to how it was on my first assignment in the early 1980s. A collosal PITA since my former squadron was inactivated by the early 1990s.

bn1966

I am a bit of a nylon junkie: Chest and shoulder size means as far as MA1's & L2B's go, military issue don't fit me so I have to go for repros.

I have:

x 3 Alpha vintage series B15s (2 green & one blue).
x 1 Vintage series Alpha MA1 (Green)
x 1 unknown series Alpha 50's MA1 replica with blanket lining (green)
x 1 HockAy vintage series replica 50's MA1 (blue) Waiting to take receipt of this jacket from e-bay.
x 1 Propper contract CWU 36 in sage
x 1 Ashland CWU 36 in tan / gold
x 1 Gibraltar CWU 36 in sage.
x 1 Italian Air Force L2B

Stony

This is the type of nylon flight jacket I like that is currently in my mall spot for sale. I don't like any nylon that's post Vietnam War era, and like some others said, patched is better.

355thl2b.jpg

355thlabel.jpg

405thfbg.jpg

355thtac.jpg

watchmanjimg

FtrPlt said:
Also retired. Got rid of all my jackets except for the ones I was issued.

I've spent the last few years tracking down missing patches to put my '79 CWU-36 back to how it was on my first assignment in the early 1980s. A collosal PITA since my former squadron was inactivated by the early 1990s.

Which patches are you looking for specifically? I have some post-Vietnam era patches here and would be glad to take a look through my stuff just in case.

watchmanjimg

I just realized that I never responded to the original poster's question. What kind of nylon collector am I? Well, let's see . . . basically I love all the USAF nylon jackets and have originals ranging from the olive drab L-2 and B-15B through the blue L-2A and B-15C and the various sage-green models all the way into the 1980s. I do not collect Navy jackets. There are a few missing pieces here and there, but my inventory of light- and intermediate-zone jackets comprises something on the order of 50 examples. Then there are the CWUs . . . :eek: