• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Jacket/Jacket type is this?

OimanMcfoyman

I'm not sure if the term is double-breasted/asymmetrical, but it's the crossover from motorcycle jacket, to a bomber.

Does anyone know which specific jacket this is?
1627912038639.png

All I know is that it's from Wilsons Leather.

But what I'm really intrigued the most by which I hope one day will get answered is what type of bomber is the one that Kaneda wears in the movie Akira,
or where one like it can be found.
1627912226938.png

The recent replicas don't get it right via the fit, they're more cut down. It's supposed to be more roomy like this:
1627912433384.png

And the sleeves are are also very wide:
If anyone knows of any jacket like or similar to this from the one in this movie or the Wilson jacket as stated above, you'll be scratching an itch that's been irritating me forever.

Kermit3D

Hi Oiman Mcfoyman

I can't tell you where this jacket came from. It doesn't look like any "bomber" jacket that I know of.
In my opinion, only the loose appearance of the jacket suggests a bomber.

If that can help you, I found this :

by the way, I love Akira ! :p

Thomas Koehle

Hi Oiman Mcfoyman

I can't tell you where this jacket came from. It doesn't look like any "bomber" jacket that I know of.
In my opinion, only the loose appearance of the jacket suggests a bomber.

If that can help you, I found this :

by the way, I love Akira ! :p

Wow!

That was a quick and pretty detailed answer ...

I'm impressed

Thomas Koehle

Hi OimanMcfoyman

as far as my knowledge is the jacket on your picture is a commercial phantasy design with no real military background.

As for the rest of your question Kermit3D already provided an answer + source where to get such a jacket.

Good luck when purchasing and don't forget to post a fitpic.

Thomas

MikeyB-17

Yeah, another big Akira fan here too. Bearing in mind that the film is an Anime, set in the future, I doubt the jacket is based on anything in the real world. The one you've posted a pic of is a commercial 'mall jacket' which bears no resemblance whatsoever to any kind of military issued flight jacket. They may not be bang on, but the one Kermit posted may be your best bet. The only other thing I can suggest is to have a word with Shaun at Five Star, who may be able to do something custom made for you.

MikeyB-17

I dunno. There's been lots of discussion of Alien/Aliens jackets in the past. And what's an Indiana Jones jacket if not a fantasy item? And any amount of fantasy jackets coming out of Japan! :)

OimanMcfoyman

It's interesting because I swear I've seen the same sorta "double-breasted" clip/button on style for the sorta oversized 80's bomber that's not set in the future, moreso in the era it takes place in, but thanks all so much for all your kind responses!

917_k

Part of what I find so fascinating about military jackets is how the aesthetic and certain design elements find their way into broader fashion pieces. Whilst I’ve no idea where the artist originally got their inspiration from, the Akira jacket looks similar to a raft of different military jackets. I’m immediately drawn to the A-1 deck jacket:

D1C7DF6C-774D-46FB-B5CC-4730ACCFDEBF.jpeg

The jacket fastenings look similar to the ‘hook deck jacket’ fastenings:

9413BE20-3DCA-45F1-9A2A-88A7676E0AD9.jpeg

Would be great fun to do a military mashup of the Akira jacket with the various features from issue garments.

917_k

The Alien Nostromo crew clothing is very interesting because several of the items are repurposed military jackets. The crew jackets are RAF Mk.3 cold weather jackets, which appear to have had the lacing and zippers from a g-suit added.

AF8E7D9E-8624-4CFB-9C4D-609CF43B8943.jpeg

Ripley’s suit is a US Air Force G-4 flight suit, these are now mega rare and command a high price (both for collectors of Air Force kit and Alien fans)

2CA54277-659B-479F-BD0E-DE1718AF294C.jpeg

Even their space suit liners seem to be RAF Mk.2 ventilation suits (one of the strangest looking flying suits out there, the piping looks very HR Geiger):

2683DB45-6334-4DB7-B5EE-C9A7C8979154.jpeg

Notice that the helmet on that suit also appears to be a 1960s RAF type e partial pressure helmet.

Cool stuff!