• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to buy repro zips, and better looking YKK pulls.

dinomartino1

Where to buy repro zips and better looking YKK pulls.
I will start this off with YKK, if you have a jacket that has had the zip replaced with YKK or came with an ugly looking pull they do some nicer looking ones.
Changing a pull is very simple and easy to do, if a complete simpleton like me can do it you can.
If you can't find anyone selling the sliders on their own it is still can be cost effective to buy a complete zip just for the pull YKK are very cheap.
The YKK slider catalog.

One I changed.

IMG_4008.jpeg

British lightning and clix zips from lewis leathers

Mash japan
Talon, conmar, crown, scovill.

For those who have french jackets this etsy shop deadlockfrancaise does get dead stock eclair zippers, buttons and the buckle for the front of the jacket.

Aslo for the French hardware I'm sure Pilot who is member here can help as well.

Aero will sell you a replacement zip if you have an aero, they are understanding of the fact that some people may lack the funds to able to send them a jacket them a jacket for repair. Denny the manager asks that you send pictures of the jacket and of the zip issue to find a solution.

Eastman, they may do the same as aero on a case by case basis depending on the circumstances, also understanding of the fact that some people may lack the funds to able to send them a jacket them a jacket for repair, if they know you, you will be okay, they don't have a limitless supply of NOS zips.

This shop in Japan for waldes zips made to your specs, I have not tried them yet and I don't know if they will do pulls on their own, and somebody on the fedora lounge told me this.
"The Waldes pulls might not work on the YKK tracks. I got some Japanese jackets with Waldes main zips and I cannot zip them with up with the Universal/YKK from Aero.

slider_l.jpeg

For other than flight jackets YKK universal known in Japan as old american and virtually impossible to find outside of Japan, I think these are now Aeros default zip and for a good reason along with riri the best longest lasting, most reliable zips.
These are made with cotton tape but the sliders work on regular YKK as well so if just want to buy a zipper just to get the slider this shop is cheap and it shows how overpriced the other repro zips really are. Ships in envelopes if you want, normally responds in english with 24 hours.
Only 3# and 5# and not that many style to choose from.
Be aware that this a leather craft shop so all the zips are closed ended you can't use them for a main pull, if you just want the slider order the shortest 5# zipper.
You can use the 3# for pockets and sleeves.
Make sure to aks them for a photo of the zip you want to buy first because because you need to remember that a zip slider on a pocket that pulls down from top is going to reversed on a sleeve, I'm sure if all the zips are like that so that's why you need to check and you aslo need to check if it locking or not, thats where the slider tab is either up or down and locks the zip in place the 5# I got was not like that.
If the zip is to long it's not issue, shortening a zip is really simple, do it yourself or any competent alterations person can do it.
The shortest 5# I got just to take the slider off is 30cm and is $8.55.
I bought some zips for pockets and a 14cm was $2.73
Postage for 5 zips to Australia was only USD$5
They have talon 42 as well which are the small size close to 3#

It's shame these are so hard to find when you see the complete range.

I got some of these for pockets, non locking but this is what I mean by ask first, for a sleeve the logo will be on the back of the zip, on a pocket it would look like this.
IMG_4004.jpeg

On a sleeve it would look like this

IMG_4005.jpeg

I bought these 3# for some sleeves, this style in #3 has a locking pull tab so it can be either be locked up or down, up you see the logo down you don't. The pic is the way it would look on a sleeve locked up or on a pocket zipping down from the top.

IMG_4006.jpeg

locked down
IMG_4007.jpeg

The cheap Chinese made talons you see on ebay, be aware the brass ones are just thin gold plate on silver you can see the photo of one I filed down, they do copies of ideal and waldes as well so be wary of what you buy if that bothers you.
IMG_4009.jpeg

IMG_4010.jpeg

Last edited:

JonnyCrow

Where to buy repro zips and better looking YKK pulls.
I will start this off with YKK, if you have a jacket that has had the zip replaced with YKK or came with an ugly looking pull they do some nicer looking ones.
Changing a pull is very simple and easy to do, if a complete simpleton like me can do it you can.
If you can't find anyone selling the sliders on their own it is still can be cost effective to buy a complete zip just for the pull YKK are very cheap.
The YKK slider catalog.

One I changed.

View attachment 116041

British lightning and clix zips from lewis leathers

Mash japan
Talon, conmar, crown, scovill.

For those who have french cyclists/hartmann jackets this etsy shop deadlockfrancaise does get dead stock eclair zippers, buttons and the buckle for the front of the jacket.

Aslo for the French hardware I'm sure Pilot who is member here can help as well.

Aero will sell you a replacement zip if you have an aero, they are understanding of the fact that some people may lack the funds to able to send them a jacket them a jacket for repair. Denny the manager asks that you send pictures of the jacket and of the zip issue to find a solution.

Eastman, they may do the same as aero on a case by case basis depending on the circumstances, als understanding of the fact that some people may lack the funds to able to send them a jacket them a jacket for repair, if they know you, you will be okay.

This shop in Japan for waldes zips made to your specs, I have not tried them yet and I don't know if they will do pulls on their own, and somebody on the fedora lounge told me this.
"The Waldes pulls might not work on the YKK tracks. I got some Japanese jackets with Waldes main zips and I cannot zip them with up with the Universal/YKK from Aero.

For other than flight jackets YKK universal known in Japan as old american and virtually impossible to find outside of Japan, I think these are now Aeros default zip and for a good reason along with riri the best longest lasting most reliable zips.
These are made with cotton tape but the sliders work on regular YKK as well so if just want to buy a zipper just to get the slider this shop is cheap and it shows how overpriced the other repro zips really are. Ships in envelopes if you want, normally responds in english with 24 hours.
Only 3# and 5# and not that many style to choose from.
Be aware that this a leather craft shop so all the zips are closed ended you can't use them for a main pull, if you just want the slider order the shortest 5# zipper.
You can use the 3# for pockets and sleeves.
Make sure to aks them for a photo of the zip you want to buy first because because you need to remember that a zip slider on a pocket that pulls down from top is going to reversed on a sleeve, I'm sure if all the zips are like that so that's why you need to check and you aslo need to check if it locking or not, thats where the slider tab is either up or down and locks the zip in place the 5# I got was not like that.
If the zip is to long it's not issue, shortening a zip is really simple, do it yourself or any competent alterations person can do it.
The shortest 5# I got just to take the slider off is 30cm and is $8.55.
I bought some zips for pockets and a 14cm was $2.73
Postage for 5 zips to Australia was only USD$5
They have talon 42 as well which are the small size close to 3#

It's shame these are so hard to find when you see the complete range.

I got some of these for pockets, non locking but this is what I mean by ask first, for a sleeve the logo will be on the back of the zip, on a pocket it would look like this.
View attachment 116049

On a sleeve it would look like this

View attachment 116051

I bought these 3# for some sleeves, this style in #3 has a locking pull tab so it can be either be locked up or down, up you see the logo down you don't. The pic is the way it would look on a sleeve locked up or on a pocket zipping down from the top.

View attachment 116053

locked down
View attachment 116055

The cheap Chinese made talons you see on ebay, be aware the brass ones are just thin gold plate on silver you can see the photo of one I filed down, they do copies of ideal and waldes as well so be wary of what you buy if that bothers you.
View attachment 116047

View attachment 116045
Very good post, I have a Japanese made horsehide A2 with a steel ykk bell shape zipper pull, I haven't seen those here in Europe