• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to buy knits?

STEVE S.

Ok guys, as much as I hate it, I’m in the market for a new knit supplier. Not badmouthing anyone, just need a little better customer service than I’m currently getting. It’s been a slow downhill roll for over a year now with communication being the key. I’m starting to lose a few restoration jobs now due to being in limbo waiting for 2-3 weeks for a simple reply to a request, usually numerous requests. Any recommendations? I know Gibson & Barnes sells knits, but very limited as to color selection, from what I’ve been told, it’s a mid brown on A2 style & seal for the rib rack Navy style. Would prefer a US dealer with the current global shipping situation.

B-Man2

Steve
Have you tried the guy that sells them on EBay? Or is he the guy that doesn’t communicate any longer?
In the past I’ve gotten them from MASH but that was a few years back and I’m not sure if they are still selling them.

STEVE S.

Steve
Have you tried the guy that sells them on EBay? Or is he the guy that doesn’t communicate any longer?
In the past I’ve gotten them from MASH but that was a few years back and I’m not sure if they are still selling them.
Yes, Larry is the one I’m having issues with. I’ll repeat, not running him into the ground, bashing or badmouthing as everyone has issues at times but communication is a big key in my book.

Micawber

Seconded. I've been buying from MASH too following mysterious losses in the mail from the previous supplier.

A bit of old fashioned letting your fingers doing the walking could well throw up a trade / wholesale supplier closer to home.

JC & Mark at Nor Shaw are certainly worth having a word with.

Feliz

Question from a noobie……..what is generally considered to be the preferred material for knittings? I’m ordering my first leather jacket, an A-1 from 5* and as you know they have several options And I’m at a loss, I’m thinking I prefer wool but what do the experts say? TIA

MikeyB-17

Originals were 100% wool. They didn't use polyester when A-1 and A-2 's were designed. Some makers (Aero, I believe, are one), use wool/poly mix, insisting it's an improvement (longevity?), but given the choice, I'd go for wool.