• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where should knit cuff be for optimal G1 fit

g1jacketfan

Is there a general rule of thumb of where the cuff should rest without tunneling in relation to your wrist and the first knuckle of thumb etc? Is there a photo of a proper fit for reference? Thanks.

Skyhawk

This is all personal preference. When the jackets are issued in the USN, they are usually roomy. Flight suits are bulky, especially if they have velcro patches on them. If they were issued a jacket with a slim fit, like many people like them in the fashion scene, it would not fit over a flight suit comfortably. That would be pointless.

It's a balance in the fashion sense. No tunneling and the arms will pull up when reaching overhead. Tunneling allows a bit of expansion when extending the arms. It's all about the function vs look if you are not flying in it.

busdrivermike

I tend to agree with @Skyhawk Personally I prefer a bit of tunneling, for when I’m reaching forward
On my motorcycle or driving a car, or reaching up in the grocery store but that’s me and I’m not concerned with regulation fit
And from looking at vintage photos I’ve seen so much variation that personal preference seems the only way
But I’m no expert, this is my G1 a branded by orchard jacket arm down and reaching and I wouldn’t have it any other way
But I’ve had others say it tunnels to much for them.
The watch if you wondering is a rare seiko ANA airlines model that was only available
To be purchased in flight
DFA43335-C1A0-4958-A6E4-6C02B84F7C9B.png
4737535F-8E97-4B0E-A942-76EE8515E600.jpeg
495DC773-A7AD-423C-B3C7-1FFD45ECE2F3.png
3F6FA64C-3CC2-44CC-A4DE-F8AF9D61E7C4.jpeg
3B0988CE-3964-43FB-A865-AB187F5BADB0.jpeg

Last edited:

Smithy

I hear that a lot, but it's never been my experience.

Has been with me for everything ranging from really heavyweight Horween CXL FQHH to lighter goatskin, and everything in between. Every leather jacket of mine has lost about a minimum of 1/2'' to 3/4'' in the sleeves with wear. The heavyweight CXL FQHH probably the most.

Brettafett

Same. Given time and wear, especially with HH.

End of the day, fit, lengths etc all a personal thing. If the jacket is comfortable you will enjoy wearing it.
If not, you won't. And will likely move it on in time.

Chandler

Same. Given time and wear, especially with HH.
Tanned and finished how?

My near 30 year-old ELC HH 1401 hasn't "shortened" or "shrunk" at all, neither has my 20 year-old goat Gibson & Barnes, steer ELC Star -- and I might as well throw in the 35 year-old Avirex HH.

I guess YMMV -- but don't assume consistency.

But you're right, fit is a personal thing -- I just don't like tunneling sleeves/cuffs. To each his own.

Last edited:

Smithy

And that has to do with leather "shrinking" how?

Nice of you to reply to me directly, BTW.

No need to lose your shit.

Vic is merely agreeing that sleeves usually do lose length due to creasing.

If you don't believe it buy a new Horween CXL FQHH jacket. Measure the sleeves from new and then measure them after a month of wear.

;)

Brettafett

Ive owned ELCs into the double digits (mostly RWs), every one that hung around lost 0.5" in sleeve length on average, through creasing at the pits and elbows (at least thats my theory).
And thats with the knit loosening a bit over time.
Also back length. Ive got lots of measurements taken new and after a year or two.
All through natural wear.
I wont say that jackets themselves have neccesarily 'shrunk'... But some have felt like they may have, very slightly... over time.

saucerfiend

I've noticed that ELC RW's are fairly snug in the lower arms and waist. Therefore, when you bend your arms and waist and reach forward when driving, these areas stretch to the sides causing the hide to seemingly shrink by 1/2" or so. I know this for a FACT, as my waist size fluctuates through the course of a given year and all of my GW's lose 1/2 in back length. However the sleeves DO NOT, lose any length as my arms are more on the slender side and the sleeves are never too snug for me.

Brian

Chandler

Is there a general rule of thumb of where the cuff should rest without tunneling in relation to your wrist and the first knuckle of thumb etc? Is there a photo of a proper fit for reference? Thanks.

dbtk44

I roll the knit cuffs over on themselves on my G1, but it's a 44 Long...and I should be in a regular so I believe the sleeves are +2". Never thought to stuff them inside the sleeve that way, no idea why it never occurred to me. Makes more sense than what I've been doing!