• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where have all the M-51 parka's gone....the Albert Hall!

havocpaul

Was lucky enough to be on the guest list for The Who's staging of the complete Quadrophenia album at the Albert Hall last night and I was pleasantly amazed to see so many original M-51 Parkas in one place, mostly being worn by guys who were old enough to have been original mods in the 1960's, whether they had scooters aswell I don't know. Also quite a few MA-1's which originally were a skinhead/punk fashion. I had tried on many jackets at home as I wasn't sure what I'd wear but the heavy rain put paid to risking any of value. A great night, closed my eyes and I was 15 again! Helping out was Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam and the singer from Kasabian playing 'the Face'. Zak Starkey is an amazing drummer too.

pipvh

Lucky man! That must have been quite a night - and at the Albie as well. What did the songs sound like without John and Keith?

Tim P

since 1979 in its various forms I have had the album to hand. Most recently on my itouch. It ranks in my top 5. not the soundtrack mind you, the original black and white picture album.
lord knows where my m51 went, complete with button in hood and wool/ rayon overcoat style liner. I was happy to reconfigure it for plain hoof or fur hood as the whim took me but it was a peach as I recall, free from fading and completely unadorned. My M65 Parka, which I upgraded from, had a frieze liner but the hoodlessness of it did not suit my sensibilities at the time.

I was not above wearing my original M41 jacket either, £17.50 from quartermasters at the angel (their grade 2 were £12.50)

havocpaul

Boy do I miss the likes of Quartermasters! Got a lovely original B-10 from there in 1981 for £40!
The last time I saw the Who was in 1979 at the Concert for Kambuchea, was Kenny Jones on drums then. I have to say the rythm section sounded just right especially Zak Starkey who clearly learns the Moon parts but without directly copying, he has power and sensibility (and looks great too, no wonder they had him in Oasis!). An unsung hero was Simon Townshend (Pete's bro) who handled a fair amount of the lead guitar work leaving Pete to throw the windmill power chords despite looking like a retired accountant! Forgot to mention they were selling a special army shirt for just that night which was a repro US Army 3rd patt. 'Nam type with Quadrophenia logo, picked one up as they will be quite a rare item down the road and a nice souvenir of a great night.

A

Anonymous

havocpaul said:
Zak Starkey is an amazing drummer too.

So he's better than his old man then ?? :lol:

Remember the quote from 'Red Dwarf' ? Being in a "parallel universe where Ringo was a really good drummer ........ etc" :lol: :lol:

Dave

havocpaul

I have talked to many drummers over the years and they are almost all of the opinion that Ringo was actually a very good drummer, obviously there wasn't the same power expected from say a Keith Moon or John Bonham but I think like Charlie Watts he suffered from making it look too easy and kind of 'lazy'. I was just reading this afternoon that Keith took a 12 year old Zak to the Who exhibition in 1978 as he was giving him lessons at the time...funny how things turn out.

Cobblers161

You lucky devil Paul I right fancied that.

I was lucky to see them perform it in Hyde Park in the late 90's and it was outstanding then, I can just imagine the acoustics of the Albert Hall added to the quality. Being an old ex-mod Quadrophenia has always being a firm fave despite not being a particularly 'mod'ernist soundtrack.

The MA-1 was adopted largely by the Scooterists in the late 80's most of whom were ex-mods probably explaining their prescence in abundance.

If you ever get the list +1 you know where I am! ;)

havocpaul

Unfortunately I only dare ask and get these passes for myself which means I have no hope of wooing women with promises of guestlists and backstage passes! I was very happy to see so many young kids there too, a whole new generation appreciating great music, some really stunning rock chicks but who do I get stuck behind...Ken Russell! back to jackets, I got my first MA1 in about 1976, used to combine it with Seditionaries T-shirt/mohair jumper and brothel creepers or engineer boots...no wonder I got beat up several times!