• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your favorite G1 MIL spec and/or contract?

bretron

Ok, first off, sorry if I'm starting a thread on a topic that may have been exhausted long ago. But I'm researching what USN G1 flight jacket to go after. And so I am seeking your collective input on this jacket.

Seems like I read a lot about the 7823A and B MILs because of their scarcity and nice moutons. On the other hand the earlier ones have the more favorable (or is that just me?) bell style zipper. Similarly, I really like the stenciled USN found on the older ones more than the wind flap punch out.

Whatchall think? Any particular contracts strike your fancy over others?

Cheers, and thx for your advice!

Stony

Probably my most favorite G-1 contract was the B&G Inc. 55J14 I used to own. Nice stout leather that just fits right. I should have never given it up and would probably buy it back if I could find it. If you have a copy of John Chapman's CD, there are pictures of it on there. In fact, there are pictures of a lot of different types of flight jackets on there that are a great source of information.

bretron

Being a Seattle area resident, I should probably go harrass JC sometime. As it stands I've never reached out to him, as my budget has never justified doing so!

dadgad

I had every G-1 mil spec including M-422A and 55-J-14 up to 7823C and my favourite still remains Foster's MIL-J-7823(AER) & AMEND. #2, a beautiful crossover, sharp fit, lightweight goatskin, mouton tending to blond color with time, small nickel conmar zipper and USN stencil on back of collar, a winner IMO.

Jason

The 7823B does it for me, but thats just because I prefer that cut over the earlier types. Not that I've handled any earlier itteration of the G-1, but the superb quality of the goatskin & mouton and quality construction really sold me. Irvin B Foster & Ralph Edwards both made 7823B G-1s. For best bang-for-buck, I'd go for one of the 7823C variants... quite easy to find, and prices are middle of the range; though like anything a pristine example still commands high price tags.

Stony

The 7823B does it for me, but thats just because I prefer that cut over the earlier types. Not that I've handled any earlier itteration of the G-1, but the superb quality of the goatskin & mouton and quality construction really sold me. Irvin B Foster & Ralph Edwards both made 7823B G-1s. For best bang-for-buck, I'd go for one of the 7823C variants... quite easy to find, and prices are middle of the range; though like anything a pristine example still commands high price tags.

I would have to agree with you Jason. I just acquired a 7823B Ralph Edwards in a size 46 that's my daily wearer. I probably has one of the nicest fur collars on any G-1 type I've owned and I like the close pin zipper as it's sturdy and I'm not afraid to just zip it up.

bretron

^^ yeah, but something about the bell puller "pulls" at my heart strings.. Hmm- style vs function...

Any experience with the Irvin 7823A? It's very close to the same as the 7823B, correct? Think I read it might be a boxier cut?

dadgad

bretron said:
^^ yeah, but something about the bell puller "pulls" at my heart strings.. Hmm- style vs function...

Any experience with the Irvin 7823A? It's very close to the same as the 7823B, correct? Think I read it might be a boxier cut?

I'm waiting to get one soon.

dadgad

HHjackets said:
just wondering why cotton wasn't used as lining for the g-1 type jacket? it's not as breathable as cotton.

The answer could be in the question, as it was conceived for Navy employ.

Maverickson

Hi All,

First and foremost, I am an 7823 (AER) enthusiast. Currently, I have well over a dozen of those fine USN G-1 jackets from that model to include L.W.Foster, California Sportswear, Cagleco & Werber in my collection. Although they are my most favorite version of the G-1 from what I have found this model jacket jackets do have their inherent problems. Excluding the Werber, the most prevalent problem includes a pesky aluminum small toothed aluminum Conmar zipper.

As luck would have it, from what I have found, this same small toothed zipper is only found only on those 7823 ( AER ) model G-1 jackets. In addtion, I would like to add that this aluminum Conmar zipper is often confused as being nickel. This aluminum small toothed zipper Conmar's worst problem is that it in adversely reacts with cleaners. Simply put, if you use a cleaner on a AER model G-1 with any thing other than water you run the risk of loosing that zipper.

Exactly why the USN choose to get away from using aluminum toothed zippers is probably more easily understood than why they choose to utilize cotton over rayon for their jackets. Yes, I too often wondered as to exactly why cotton was used originially as the lining for the A-2 jacket. Then I did a little research on that question! From what I have found, the qualities of Rayon often exceed that of cotton. As explained by fiber experts, " rayon is frequently misunderstood, It is breathable and can actually be more moisture-absorbent than cotton." I'm certain that the currently produced Mil Spec A-2 jackets no longer utilize cotton as their choice for lining material.

Even though I tend to cling to the old style jackets, maybe that is why for these two original design characteristics were modified for the sake of progress.

Cheers, Dave

HHjackets

dadgad said:
HHjackets said:
just wondering why cotton wasn't used as lining for the g-1 type jacket? it's not as breathable as cotton.

The answer could be in the question, as it was conceived for Navy employ.

Maverickson said:
... From what I have found, the qualities of Rayon often exceed that of cotton......

i confused rayon with satin, i thought the lining is satin on the navy jackets but it's rayon and definitely superior to cotton.

bretron

Maverickson said:
Hi All,

First and foremost, I am an 7823 (AER) enthusiast. Currently, I have well over a dozen of those fine USN G-1 jackets from that model to include L.W.Foster, California Sportswear, Cagleco & Werber in my collection... Excluding the Werber, the most prevalent problem includes a pesky aluminum small toothed aluminum Conmar zipper....

Dave, you have any photos handy to compare the 7823(AER) contracts (esp the Werber)? If there are any in your collection, size 40-42s, that are in stellar condition you're interested in parting with, lemme know ;)

Jaguar46

dadgad said:
my favourite still remains Foster's MIL-J-7823(AER) & AMEND. #2,

Could you explain what you mean by AMEND. #2?

Also, are Irvin B. Foster and L.W. Foster the same manufacturer?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Amend #2 was presumably a minor change to the 7823 spec, and unusually it was recorded on the label of this L.W. Foster contract. Similarly the last 7823 contact (Breier of Amsterdam), before the 7823A, is Amend. #3.

Irvin, and Lou Foster were brothers who fell out ... Irvin set up a competing company.

galvestonokie

for me, the best fit i have is a Cooper 7823D with nice leather. i also have a G&F M422a that is quite nice. i'd really like to own a size 46 or 48 California Sportswear G-1 but they're very had to find.

MikeyB-17

I've owned half a dozen Navy style jackets (at one time I was even heard on here saying I would never buy another), and then I picked up my Irvin B. Foster C-series for peanuts. By a quirk of fate, three of mine have been Irvin B. Fosters-a B series, a PX non-issue jacket, and my current C. Others were an RW Foster 7823(Aer), a McCoys M-422A and an unissued Ralph Edwards C series. Barring the McCoy, which was gorgeous but a repro, my current C series is my favourite, as recently stated on the G-1 thread. It's not in the best condition, but somehow it seems to work far better than the rest for me-the reason I said I wouldn't have any more G-1's was that whenever I put one on, I just went 'Naahh' and took it off again. That doesn't happen with the C, and I'm blowed if I know why. Part of it is the leather, which seems nicer than the others, but there's something about the overall look which seems to work for me.

bretron

Anyone have experience with replacing the zippers? I would think the early model zippers are pretty hard to come by ( eg the aluminum bell conmars, or black 7823A and B zippers). Just curious

galvestonokie

David: yup, you're right. it is an E model, not a D as i stated in my post. this cooper is a very nice wearer jacket. also, i have a Flight Equipment Apparel jacket, 55j14 that is a very nice jacket. i have added my patches and it is in a mothproof bag in my home. although, as far as I know, the Flying Equipment jackets were never issued, they may have been sold in some PXs in the early 1950s.

i also have a Gordon & Ferguson M422A that is quite nice. i would like to add another AER jacket, size 46 or 48 to my lot. g