• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What watch do you wear with your flying jacket?

NW Carver

Hi All

As well as flying jackets, I am very much into my watches and must admit that I do like to wear a watch appropriate for the jacket if I can, now and again... :D

So, I usually wear one of my WW2 RAF Omega 6B/159 watches when I have my Irvin on (which is usually when I am re-enacting) or my Hanhart Luftwaffe watch... :D

With my A2's, I do not have the USAAF watch to match (I presume this would be a Elgin or Waltham A11 or something similar, can you put me right on this one?), so I wear either the Hanhart, the current issue RAF Seiko Chrono, Bell & Ross BRO1, or my new Rolex Sub... :)

The same goes for my M442a's and G1's....so, what would the USN pilot wear with his jacket, I presume the same as the USAAF chaps but would be great if you could enlighten me please...

bazelot

That's my daily wearer and it has been for the past year. It is a WWII Navy pilot R88-W-800 Hamilton watch (basically a Navy A-11). It does not lose or gain any time. I now have 2 other like this one but this one is the one I've been wearing. The quality of those watches is outstanding. They are much rarer than the A-11 and therefore a lot harder to get.

watch095.jpg

watch114.jpg

NW Carver

Wow - thanks for that, that's a nice watch :) and exactley what I wanted to know...

It appears very similar to the WW2 USNBuships Navy Canteen replica watch that I have...

bazelot

NW Carver said:
Wow - thanks for that, that's a nice watch :) and exactley what I wanted to know...

It appears very similar to the WW2 USNBuships Navy Canteen replica watch that I have...

The only differnce between the hamilton canteen and this watch is the crown that is protected by a screw on cap on the canteen. This R88 Hamilton was supposed to be waterproof also (unlike the A-11 that was only dustproof)

A

Anonymous

the only problem is that the canvas strap band doesnt last too long

bazelot

PLATON said:
the only problem is that the canvas strap band doesnt last too long

That's true. I used to wear only NOS canvas band but they would not last too long so now I swiched to a modern canvas repro (pictured with the watch and it's more durable. I wash it often and it's still in very good shape

HackerF15E

Lately it's been a Casio MTG-900...
466b7142.jpg

But my preferred instrument of horology is an Omega X-33...
IMG_0666x.jpg

Of course, if you want it with a jacket, here's the Omega with a well used CWU-36/P (and an F-15E just for decoration, hehe...
DSC_5886.jpg

SuinBruin

Nice X-33. I wear a Speedmaster 3573.50 myself (sapphire instead of hesalite crystal, display back, movement slightly modified to be prettier for display).

MikeyB-17

Steve27752 said:
My daily wearer is my Omega Speedmaster.

Likewise. I used to have a Glycine Airman, but it never got worn. Same for the Bulova A-11. At work it's a Casio G-Shock, but the Speedy goes on as soon as I get home. Only other watch I'd consider is a Pepsi GMT Master.

usafwso

A few that I use for work.

From left to right: Kobold Endurance circa 2002 with showcase back, Omega Speedmaster circa 1999 with showcase back, Rolex GMT Master circa 1984, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute circa 2001.

watches.jpg

Monsoon

Casio G-Shock. Issue watch, nothing fancy. Stands up to just about anything, including a drooling 6 month old daughter.

HackerF15E

Monsoon said:
Casio G-Shock. Issue watch, nothing fancy. Stands up to just about anything, including a drooling 6 month old daughter.

Which G-Shock?

I've been issued both the DW-5600E and the DW-9052 in the USAF.

usafwso

Does your Speedmaster have a crystal on the rear? This was a major reason for the purchase of mine.

speedmaster2.jpg

The Kobold model has this feature as well, but as a self wind, the rotor obscures half the view of the movement.

kobold1.jpg