• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what off the shelf size for ELC A2?

stephen210

Hi,
I got this ELC Rough Wear in 1996 and sent in my measurments. The jacket measures
Shoulder to shoulder 20"
Pit to Pit 23"
Shoulder to cuff 23.5"
Back of neck seam to bottom of waist band 23"

It reads size 40 on the tag.

What size would I need today?
Here are some shots of it.
Thanks
Steve
current 2012
PDR_0273.jpg

PDR_0277.jpg

PDR_0280.jpg

PDR_0279.jpg

photo circa 2007..note.. I would much prefered a Vintage 1940's Harley but had to settle with my friends bike for this Christmas Toy ride.
11-27-07_0_edited-1.jpg

11-27-07_1_edited-1.jpg

stephen210

Thanks.
That is just a scarf I had one so not to freeze. I had a long sleeve sweat shirt on as I recall.

Steve

stephen210

On a side note..
The cuffs are pretty worn and the interior needs replacing. Do you all recomment sending it back over seas to Eastman for the repairs or is there somewhere in the US that you recommend?
I have worn this every cold day since I got it 15ish year ago.

PDR_0275.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
ELC will advise you, but I still think a 42 will be the likely size, and you can return if it isn't right. I noted the measurements on a recent Eastman Star Sportswear, and the chest came in at 21 1/2" ... noticeably smaller than your 1996 RW.

For the repairs, yes, I would send it back.

stephen210

Thank you David.

Would the same size be for the ELC 50 Cal B-3?
my chest now days measures 42" with a tape.

RCSignals

at 23" it is already sized like a 42. You'd best check with Eastman to find what the chest diameters of their jackets for various sizes are currently

stephen210

Thanks guys.
The patch I got from a friend back in 96. He said he believed it was a reunion patch. I just assumed that was the case. But I have not seen any replicas made like it.

dmar836

Stephen,
Surely someone in the states can replace those. Even at a premium price, it wouldn't justify the shipping. Gibson and Barnes/Flightsuits have nice wool cuffs available. You have to make sure you get the historic A-2 cuffs. Invoice says, Pt#2504NR2 "Knit A-2 Hist Wool Russet Cuff"
BTW, I wadded up one of those R6s. Toys they are not!
Dave

unclegrumpy

stephen210 said:
Thanks guys.
The patch I got from a friend back in 96. He said he believed it was a reunion patch. I just assumed that was the case. But I have not seen any replicas made like it.
All the Squadrons in this Bomb Group had slightly oversized chenille patches. It is a little hard to say 100% from your picture, but I am pretty your patch is an original.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
dmar836 said:
Surely someone in the states can replace those. Even at a premium price, it wouldn't justify the shipping.

I would have suggested that, but with the lining also needing replacement, I thought it better to send it back.

stephen210

Thanks for all the help. Since the lining needs replaced too I think I will drop ELC a line and see what the cost would be to repair it and estimated time this summer.

The patch measures approx. 6" in diameter.
I picked up one that looks pretty much like it but is is wool/felt and 5" for my son. I think I got it from Flight Suits if I recall.

herk115

stephen210 said:
On a side note..
The cuffs are pretty worn and the interior needs replacing. Do you all recomment sending it back over seas to Eastman for the repairs or is there somewhere in the US that you recommend?

PDR_0275.jpg

Order the cuffs from HPA then have a stateside tailor do it. I've always had good luck that way, and it gets done very quickly.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
herk115 said:
stephen210 said:
On a side note..

Order the cuffs from HPA then have a stateside tailor do it. I've always had good luck that way, and it gets done very quickly.

... and for the lining? :?

herk115

deeb7 said:
herk115 said:
stephen210 said:
On a side note..

Same!

herk115

deeb7 said:
herk115 said:
deeb7 said:

Same!

Oh okay ... I didn't realise ELC would sell the lining fabric by the yard.

Oh...sorry. I just assumed they would. I guess you'll have to ask them to be sure. But others will, like Gibson & Barnes, and you can always try your local fabric store. I've found that a mom & pop fabric store can have some amazingly accurate substitue fabrics for jackets and flight suits.