• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is Worn on the G-1, and Who Makes them Now?

herk115

Folks,

I've just purchased my first G-1 in a long time. It's a great size 48 Cooper. I have two questions and a look at past threads didn't seem to offer any answers, so I'll start a new thread. I apologize if this subject has been covered already.

One, who makes the current issue U.S. Navy G-1, or is it even issued any more?

Two, does anybody know what Navy regulations allow or require be worn on the G-1 in the way of name tag and patches? A guy from Miramar told me there were no regulations or guidelines from the Navy, but that was twenty years ago and things change (especially after Tailhook). Thanks in advance for any gouge on these subjects.

Cheers!

jschare

When I was in, 1985-1993, it was leather name tag on the left side and squadron patch on the right side.

Atticus

Here's a 1992 Cooper G-1 that was issued during the modern era....sometime after 1992. It has a velcro receiver on the left chest, an American flag in the left shoulder and a United States Navy patch on the right shoulder. There are no other patch marks on the jacket.

airportphotos037-1.jpg

AF

herk115

Atticus said:
Here's a 1992 Cooper G-1 that was issued during the modern era....sometime after 1992. It has a velcro receiver on the left chest, an American flag in the left shoulder and a United States Navy patch on the right shoulder. There are no other patch marks on the jacket.
AF

Wow. Great jacket! Mine's a bit baggier than that, but as it's likely I'm going to get bigger and not smaller, that's okay. Did it come with those patches already on it? I read the above excerpt of naval regulations, but have seen several G-1s on active USN aircrew that seemed to blatantly ignore the regulations. I've even seen them cover their nomex jackets with patches and wear them while on duty at a Red Flag exercise at Nellis AFB. Maybe the navy just doesn't care that much.

airfrogusmc

I was flight crew and was in the Marines 73-77 and pretty much anything went as far as patches. In fact most old salts you could see their career on their jackets. My old G-1 which got lost in my last divorce had all of my squadron and duty station patches on it.

Atticus

herk115 said:
Wow. Great jacket! Mine's a bit baggier than that...

Heh heh. That's actually a size 48...and a largish size 48 at that. Its about as baggy as they come. But...you can fill any size bag if you've got enough crap to put into it...and, trust me, there's plenty of good ol' boy here to fill this bag. :lol:

Af

herk115

Atticus said:
herk115 said:
Wow. Great jacket! Mine's a bit baggier than that...

Heh heh. That's actually a size 48...and a largish size 48 at that. Its about as baggy as they come. But...you can fill any size bag if you've got enough crap to put into it...and, trust me, there's plenty of good ol' boy here to fill this bag. :lol:

Af

I never would have known. Either it looks great on you, or you've got one heck of a good photographer in front of you! :D

dilbert

herk115 said:
Folks,

I've just purchased my first G-1 in a long time. It's a great size 48 Cooper. I have two questions and a look at past threads didn't seem to offer any answers, so I'll start a new thread. I apologize if this subject has been covered already.

One, who makes the current issue U.S. Navy G-1, or is it even issued any more?

Two, does anybody know what Navy regulations allow or require be worn on the G-1 in the way of name tag and patches? A guy from Miramar told me there were no regulations or guidelines from the Navy, but that was twenty years ago and things change (especially after Tailhook). Thanks in advance for any gouge on these subjects.

Cheers!

I flew in the '60's and '70's and back then there were no rules per se. The tradition was for the name tag to be sewn onto the left breast, but other than that it was up to you. The flight jacket was never a part of the uniform, simply flight gear and, as such, had no regulations. You would see patches of all sizes and descriptions sewn all over the front, sleeves and backs as well on many jackets. It was much like a valued belt buckle that could be worn with your khaki's. It had wings on it as well as your name and was only available in the Philippines (which meant you had been in Viet Nam). We called it the "been there buckle" as it told the world where you had been. The jacket was much the same, each patch was a been there and was evidence of your saltiness. I remember one Spad driver (A-1 Skyraider) who had so many patches that you could hardly tell the jacket was leather.

The current uniform regs say that you can only have the leather name tag on the left breast, a squadron patch on the right and an American flag on the left arm. However, it depends on which community you are in that really dictates how many patches you have on your jacket. In the Helo (pronounced HEE-LOW) community we stick with the basic three patches. In the fixed wing communities, i.e. jets and props, they put patches all over their jackets. With that said, I have seen more on the green nylon flight jackets than the leather jacket.

The leather jacket can be worn with flight suites and our Khakis. The Green nylon can only be worn with the flight suite and is technically only to be worn in the hangar and on the flight line. But I know plenty of people that wear it on their drive home. Unlike the Air Force we are not allowed to wear our flights suites off base unless it is to stop for gas or a convenience store to pick up necessities. Otherwise it is a non-stop drive to and from base.

The current issued jackets are made by Excelled Leather. Many flight jacket enthusiasts have bashed the quality of the jacket, but mine is great and it has held up very well in and out of the cockpit along with several deployments. I have heard that The Cockpit picked up the contract, but I have yet to see any in the fleet.

herk115

Treetopflyer said:
With that said, I have seen more on the green nylon flight jackets than the leather jacket.

On a visit to Nellis a few years ago I saw some Navy guys there for a Red Flag exercise. They were wearing their green nomex jackets over their flight suits and the jackets were just plastered with patches, front and back. I remember thinking, "Lucky bestidges! They have no uniform regulations at all!" The AF was/is very specific about what we can wear on flight suits and jackets (which is basically, nothing at all beyond name tag and major command).

They do get a bit out of hand. Since we are not allowed to wear the green nomex off base the rule for patch wear goes out the window for them, especially for the fixed wing guys.