• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What have I done?

Spitfireace

I'm feeling deceived now. Don't know if I should spend money working on this jacket. It has some good points and some not so good points. I guess I'll see when it arrives. I may return it.

bseal

I'm feeling deceived now. Don't know if I should spend money working on this jacket. It has some good points and some not so good points. I guess I'll see when it arrives. I may return it.

In the immortal worlds of Michael Bolton and Hercules, “Go the Distance.”

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

I wouldn't spend even a minute on this jacket. You can return it as soon as you get it, it has a 30 days return policy according to ebay because the moment you make a modification on this jacket, it becomes yours automatically. I'm afraid some issues cannot be repaired on this example like ghost stitches made by a prior (terrible) repair attempt. It is not worth the time in my opinion.

Spitfireace

I think that's a good piece of advice Jorge. I thought it would be wearer with just a zipper repair and some darning of the knits. That's before it was pointed out that it is not actually a FO. I was wondering how that could be until I realized that they put the incorrect label on when they changed the liner (forgot FO have salmon coloured liners). Normally you wouldn't be able to do that kind of stitching on the label if the liner was original. The liner has to be out of the jacket in order to do that. Otherwise it would be obvious because of the type of overhand stitch you would have to use to attach the label. Hard to say if this was deliberate to deceive but I guess I missed it.

P2725TMB

To be fair there's nothing wrong with a G&F, they are very well made jackets, albeit the most commonly available M-422a, and the leather may clean up nicely with lots of character. However you'd spend quite a lot repairing it, what with knits and zipper, and then, as Jorge says, be left with empty stitch tracks. As I mentioned, I think the sleeves have been shortened too, probably by over an inch.

Spitfireace

The shorter sleeves is what attracted me because I need 23 inch sleeves being short at five three. Most jackets have around a 25 inch sleeve. I would not alter an original jacket, I think it would be sacrilege, but if it was altered already in service then it's fine. The stitch marks to be honest are not a deal breaker. I think a lot of jackets have past stitch marks from removed patches. So I mean it's part of the history of the jacket really. Most jackets have had work done, we would like NOS, sure, but it's not usually the case. I am going to see when I have the jacket in hand. I think the seller should give me a bit of a rebate, since it was misrepresented as a FO. I may be able to assemble the parts. I think maybe John Chapman might have a correct label if I'm lucky. He seems like an affable guy regarding helping people. Maybe send the jacket to Steve Sellers. Not sure yet, as I say, have to have the jacket in hand first and see if indeed it looks right on me etc.

Spitfireace

Also I'm trying to guess the correct contract. I think it would probably be the 416. That's the largest contract. The first contract did have brown liner sometimes, but it's probably not the first contract.