• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you think of this?

NW Carver

Hi All

Just could not resist picking something up as a 'knock around' jacket until I make my mind up on my next repro A2..and help save wear and tear on my originals...:)

I know its not a real A2 or a proper repro but the leather on the front and around the wrists is identical in look to my original Poughkeepsie...and the fit looks good...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171040095027? ... 1423.l2649

What do you all think? :D

Kind regards

EMBLEMHUNTER

For just a knockabout jacket and you're not worried about "authentic" look , it's not a bad looking copy .
Johnny

NW Carver

Hi ya
Yea, I have had 3 of those :D ...including a Cooper of one of the first contracts awarded to them when the US Air Force started again...and just couldn't get along with them :(

Gosh...it's made me realise actually how many diff A2s I have had over the years... :eek: toooo many :D

NW Carver

Heheheh - thanks Dave :D

I will post some close up shots of the jacket when I get it - looking at the leather closely in the pictures, I just find it interesting that it appears to have the same texture, grain and finish on the front bottom as my original Poughkeepsie A2...almost as if this jacket was made from the same leather...which is impossible, due this jacket being much younger in age and more a fashion version..but still interesting..I will post comparisons when I get the jacket.. :D

MikeyB-17

Golden Bear make (or used to make) Letterman jackets and the like. I came very close to buying a Golden Bear B-3 a while ago. I'd rather have that one than a current issue A-2.

A

Anonymous

I am looking to buy an issued modern A-2 or an Avirex as I miss the 1980s.
The super accurate repros are fine but this also has its personality so yes, I like it.

NW Carver

Okay guys, I got the jacket and must say for a 'fashion A2' its pretty impressive...the fit is perfect for me and the leather is awesome, matching my Poughkeepsie original in feel and look of grain...the leather weight is slightly thicker than my originals but not by much..:)

It does not have the throat latch, and has hand warmer pockets, but other than that (which I knew about as I want it as a 'everyday knock-around jacket') its a very good jacket...and the zip is a modern military scovill (blackend brass)...there is no wear at all in the liner or at the neck..

See the pictures below-when I get chance I will take some outside and you will get a better idea of what this looks like :)

dmar836

I think it looks pretty good. I'd give it a second look if I saw you wearing it (until I saw the pockets). The pockets are very functional though. I guess a hook could be added and the pocket lining removed and stitched shut. But, hey, just wear the thing!
Good score and a better drape than the modern A-2 issue,
Dave

NW Carver

Thanks Dave :D

It wears really nicely...am wearing it today for work and its a really nice jacket in general..agree, I could put a hook/eye on it (especially as it has a collar stand, i.e. the collar is like my Perry and not attached direct to the jacket but like a shirt with that extra bit of leather around the neck) and I could indeed lose the hand warmer pockets...but I think will leave 'as is' for now...especially as I am trying to sort out getting a new repro..

My 'A2 list' is below...cant believe that I have had that many:

Original
Perry A2 - still have
Poughkeepsie A2 - still have
'No name' Contract A2 with owner details/letter and flying gloves - sold

Repro's
Golden Bear A2 - just picked up
Aero Leather Bronco A2 (horsehide) - still have
Eastman Cable Raincoat A2 (goat) - sold
Eastman Roughwear A2 (horsehide) - sold
Eastman Pearl Harbor A2 (steerhide)- sold
Hercules A2 (1950s civilian) - sold
Lost Worlds A2 Dubow (horsehide-2 of them) - sold
Eastman Own Label (steerhide) - sold
Copper A2 (orange liner) - sold
Orchard A2 (with Velcro nametag and unit on it) - sold
Branded A2 (modern cut) - sold
Averix 'Okinawa Pilot' A2 (horrible 'mall' jacket) - sold

NW Carver

Hehehehheh... :D Yep..still got get hold of a John Chapman..and I want to get a Bill Kelsco jacket at some point too..just to add to those that I have had..hehehe

Interestingly, I have not had as many repro G1's or M422as - only an Eastman G1 - the rest of them that I have had have all been issue (have had 11 in total - 2 M442a's and 9 G1's, now down to 7 jackets in total)...

B-Man2

LockDoc said:
B-Man2 said:
It's an OK jacket but for just about the same price you could have picked up a military surplus issued US Air Force A2 and had an authentic A2 that would probably increase in value a little over the coming years.
But if that's what you like, then enjoy it....... ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-2-Leather-Fli ... 4852b3284d

I am currently bidding on this, let's hope no-one else spots it.
Am I to take it that you are offended because I used this particular ebay sale as an example ???

a2jacketpatches

B-Man2 said:
LockDoc said:
B-Man2 said:
It's an OK jacket but for just about the same price you could have picked up a military surplus issued US Air Force A2 and had an authentic A2 that would probably increase in value a little over the coming years.
But if that's what you like, then enjoy it....... ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-2-Leather-Fli ... 4852b3284d

I am currently bidding on this, let's hope no-one else spots it.
Am I to take it that you are offended because I used this particular ebay sale as an example ???
No bidding, it's a Buy Now

B-Man2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-2-Leather-Fli ... 4852b3284d[/quote]

I am currently bidding on this, let's hope no-one else spots it.[/quote]
Am I to take it that you are offended because I used this particular ebay sale as an example ???[/quote] No bidding, it's a Buy Now[/quote]

Looks as though this individual just joined the forum on May 24th to sell a commercial Irvin and has already started trying to cause a little mischief with 3 postings.