• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do we think of this A-2?

cgreen

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all well and already looking at a great weekend. I found this horsehide A-2, which the seller dates 1949-1958. I think it looks pretty good - obviously well-worn but I'm happy with that look. The only thing that gives me pause is the right shoulder, does it seem deformed to you all?

Seller wants approximately $300 USD. The label is hard for me to decipher but the seller says it's by Union.

Any overall thoughts are appreciated, as are things you all would ask the seller to gauge quality, etc. I've asked about smells and tears, and apparently there aren't any. The knits look okay, if not a bit stretched.

Thanks much, please let me know. Everyone have a good day.

Chris

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 9.14.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 9.14.21 AM.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 160
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 9.14.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 9.14.47 AM.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 165
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 9.15.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 9.15.12 AM.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 154
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 9.15.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 9.15.44 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 148

Dany McDonald

Hello,

Are you looking to actually buy a horsehide A-2 or the vintage A-2 style. This is not an A-2 jacket at all by the way.

The skin looks nice but looks a bit dry, easy fix. And I don't see any deformation per say, I think its the presentation that distorts the shoulders.

Would be cool to see the liner and closer zip detail.

Dany

cgreen

Thank you Dany, I appreciate your thoughts. I do love the A-2 jackets - this is potentially for a person who likes the style but isn't necessarily all that particular about the period accurateness of things.

I think the hide looks good - I'd clean it and condition it, an possibly change the liner if need be. I'll ask for closer zip and liner photos.

Chris

Dany McDonald

Hi Chris,

Yes the A-2 style is so vintage and really is ageless in style. That jacket looks good and the skin will probably pop out when conditioned and loved!

The zip is always a good way to evaluate the time frame of the jacket, when original to the piece.

D

cgreen

Another couple of photos - zipper and shoulder detail.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 10.41.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 10.41.15 AM.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 106
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 10.41.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 10.41.38 AM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 109
Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all well and already looking at a great weekend. I found this horsehide A-2, which the seller dates 1949-1958. I think it looks pretty good - obviously well-worn but I'm happy with that look. The only thing that gives me pause is the right shoulder, does it seem deformed to you all?

Seller wants approximately $300 USD. The label is hard for me to decipher but the seller says it's by Union.

Any overall thoughts are appreciated, as are things you all would ask the seller to gauge quality, etc. I've asked about smells and tears, and apparently there aren't any. The knits look okay, if not a bit stretched.

Chris
Sorry. It is not an A2. It has many design differences. It is a decent older leather jacket which you can wear and enjoy if you like it.

mulceber

I don't think @cgreen was asserting that it's an honest to goodness vintage military A-2 jacket. I think he was using the term A-2 more loosely: a collared leather jacket with knits and cargo pockets in the lower torso.

As for whether it's a worthwhile purchase, it looks like a nice, civilian, post-war bomber jacket. At $300 it's not a steal, but that's a reasonable enough price, if the leather's still in good condition.

cgreen

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the thoughts. It indeed is not a true A-2, rather in the style of, which would be fine for the person in question. I'm mainly interested in the hide, which I think would look quite nice with a bit of cleaning and moisturizing. I've asked for photos of the lining and will make the decision at that point.If nothing more needs to be done then maybe it's a winner, we'll see. Thank you again, ya'll are terrific. Enjoy the day.

CG

Hi Everyone,

Chris
Hi Everyone,

Chris
My opinion is that while the A2 style jacket is popular with many my suggestion is to buy the USN M422A-G-1 style jacket instead. Why? Try them both on. Which lining do you find easier to slide on? Zip them up. Raise your arms level and over your head. Try on chilly days. Try on hot days. Try to swim 100 meters in one. I leave you to your own conclusion as to which jacket is more comfortable and offers greater functionality and range of motion? Yes, the A2 looks good...but, so does the continually issued from 1940 to present M422->G-1. As to your find on ebay or whatever....pass. You can buy an actual military issued G1 these days for $300 or less...so why by a marginal replica of an A2?

ZuZu

Hi Everyone,

Chris
It's a beautiful thing! The "Archer" jacket! Grais Flightmaster.