• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the sleeve zips on Irvins for ?

Peter Graham

If this question has been asked and answered before then I apologise but I don't recall it. The sleeve zippers on Irvin jackets is a feature that add a lot of character to these jackets but what are they for ? A lot of motorcycle jackets have sleeve zippers that are designed to give a tight seal against wind blowing up the sleeves but I know from experience that this this is more of an aesthetic feature than a practical one. Surely this is not the case with a military garment, particularly in the later war years when doing away with the sleeve zippers would have saved a lot of time and money. It made sense in the days of open cockpit flying but not for bomber crews in WW2. Any thoughts ?

ButteMT61

Always figured it was to allow entry over big gloves. Helps with riding, and those gloves aren't all that big/thick.

flyboy

The Irvin was designed for open cockpit. The sleeve zippers made it easier to wear gloves. The design worked nicely - so why change it, just because the cockpits were closed later on?
The Morgan is also still made partly of wood. Just like it always was. That's the charm of it. ;)

FtrPlt

Probably likely the zips were to allow the sleeves to be pulled on over the service uniform and still result in snug fit.

John Lever

Some track suits bottoms have zipped ankles to allow them to be put on /taken off without removing boots. A similar arrangement would work for gauntlets.

Roughwear

FtrPlt said:
Probably likely the zips were to allow the sleeves to be pulled on over the service uniform and still result in snug fit.

This is main reason for the zips and if you read the IAC patent zips were used rather than any other form of closure because they were easy to use and with the layer of sheepskin beneath the sleeve zips provided a weather proof closure.

John Lever

Roughwear said:
FtrPlt said:

This is main reason for the zips and if you read the IAC patent zips were used rather than any other form of closure because they were easy to use and with the layer of sheepskin beneath the sleeve zips provided a weather proof closure.
If so why did the Americans never use them? (zips)

Roughwear

But some did! Just look at the B-1 and B-2 jackets which were invented by Leslie Irvin at the same time as the British Irvin. The pictures accompanying the 1932 Irvin patent have much more in common with the B-1 than the Irvin.

John Lever

I still think the zips closure is a product of the time. Open cockpit and gauntlets. Moto jackets still use them, I assume something to do with rapid air flow and gloves.