• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are "inset sleeves"

helodrvr

OK, I am a little befuddled by the term "inset sleeves." Can anyone describe the differences to me? I am going through John Chapman's CD as well as his site and see this reference to a few A-2's. I am not clear how this method of attaching a sleeve differs from the norm? Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

hillcpa

I'm the one that started the other thread about inset sleeves. Even after DiamondDave's detailed explanation, the one thing I still didn't understand was why the sleeve seem is rotated with an inset seam.

I think I may have just had an epifany. Is it to avoid all the leather bunching up in one place (where all the seams meet), as alluded to by DiamondDave? That was probably obvious to everyone else, but it just hit me (assuming that is even the correct conclusion).

Persimmon

Perhaps a few sample photographs of an inset and a normal "non inset jacket" would do the trick.
I haven't got a inset example to be able to post side by side but perhaps there is someone itching to do that .
A picture says a thousand words and.... a couple of detailed threads perhaps !!

Alan