• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What about this G-1??

asiamiles

I'm no expert, but I definitely like the look of the jacket. The lack of label is of no real importance to me, but to me many collectors this will really affect the value of the jacket, so if you're like me it might be one to keep an eye on as it may keep the price relatively low. I notice that the knits and waistband don't seem to match; maybe this won't bother most people but it's one of the things that I don't like. I guess if you could get it for under $200 that would be seen as a good buy?

Jason

I'm wondering if it's pre- G-1...? The zipper, pocket flap and collar shape says M422a or AN6552 to me.

asiamiles

No mention of USN anywhere (on collar or windflap) and that curious size tag perhaps indicates it's a commercial version of the G-1?

handworn

Looks military to me. The civilian versions, even by the same manufacturers, seem usually to differ in design in some way from the military jackets.

The peculiar thing that strikes me is the goatskin. I think it is goatskin, but it doesn't have the same pebbly look as most does. The "pebbles" are more elongated, an effect I've seen on broken-in horsehide upper front panels of jackets. But this is all over. Odd.

asiamiles said:
No mention of USN anywhere (on collar or windflap) and that curious size tag perhaps indicates it's a commercial version of the G-1?

Thanks for the input. I really love the graining on the leather of this jacket and it's a tempting buy, but I think I'll keep my money and put it towards another Goodwear.

fedoralover