• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WESTED-INDY

jon11

Anyone here got any experience of the WESTED Indy jacket? They seem inexpensive compared to other makers, am I to assume you only get what you pay for? Thanks.

B-Man2

Wested is the company that produced the original Indy Jacket used in Raiders of the Lost Ark. The jackets are made in the UK and are good quality jackets. The subsequent jackets used in other Indy movies were made by Tony Nowak Leather Company and are much more expensive but not much better quality wise than Wested IMO.

2BM2K

I have a couple of Wested Indy jackets. A Last Crusade/Crystal Skull in Novapelle and a Hero jacket in goatskin. For the price they represent good value and a good quality. Obviously not in the same league as Aero jackets but a good casual jacket.

CBI

seems like a good buy for what you get. Someone here had one custom made with some nice aged leather, only ran about $350 plus shipping! I almost pulled the trigger myself

Marv

2BM2K said:
I have a couple of Wested Indy jackets. A Last Crusade/Crystal Skull in Novapelle and a Hero jacket in goatskin. For the price they represent good value and a good quality. Obviously not in the same league as Aero jackets but a good casual jacket.

I agree, I have the Raiders in the novapelle hide and it's a great casual jacket and very well made too.

Wested's customer service was also excellent.

Doug C

B-Man2 said:
..The subsequent jackets used in other Indy movies were made by Tony Nowak Leather Company and are much more expensive but not much better quality wise than Wested IMO.

Slight correction, only the jackets for the very last movie was made by Nowak, he didn't do the 2nd and 3rd movies - or is that the "latest jacket history" being pedaled :roll: ... I agree with the quality being about the same. I think Westeds are great if you can get one that's not too short in the body and leather that looks like what Indy wore, as in not like the smooth lambskin Wested has made 90% of their jackets from and not the over the top "croc" pattern that Nowak offered. JMHO.

atkins

My only leather jacket now is a Wested Last Crusade, leather is soft and have the great seal brown hue, but it is lambskin and easily tore at stress point in my case it's the shoulder joint. The hanger leather tab also useless ( broke about 2 weeks after purchase ). It has a satin inner sleeves which are very comfortable for me here in the equator. Heard very good review of their Novapelle though, a lot of character.

I've had a lambskin Wested Raiders for a decade. It's my "summer" leather when the wool knits on my other jackets become too hot - besides the open wrists and bottom, the thin lambskin and all-cotton lining make it wearable well up into the 70s. And because it was custom-made to my size (for a mere $250 back then), it fits better than any of my off-the-rack jackets. Sure, the construction quality isn't comparable to milspec toughness (Wested makes movie wardrobe, not garments designed to endure rough conditions)... but I've never had a seam open or anything fail. Though...

It's true that lambskin is fragile, and I once tore a big gash in the back panel when it got stuck on my car door. I sent it off to Wested for repair after we agreed on the cost and shipping charges. They told me they were backed up with movie work so it would take a few months, and they couldn't guarantee to match the leather precisely. I was fine with that... But the jacket came back well before I expected it, before they'd even charged my credit card - on Christmas Eve, actually! - with a little note saying Happy Xmas - No charge! (The new panel was a perfect color match, though with less grain than the rest of the jacket. Now that it's a few years later, you'd never know it was a replacement.)

Now THAT'S outstanding customer service... and proof that even a Jewish guy like me can experience a Christmas miracle!

Jaguar46

I have an older size 42 (5-8 years old?) Indy in dark brown horse hide, broken in, with no flaws/rips/holes/errors for $200. Slightly too big for me. I can put it in the ad section later, with pics.

Pete17

I just picked up a Gibson and Barnes Expedition jacket in goatskin last Friday and haven't taken it off yet. Beautifully made jacket and very accurate to the Raiders jacket.
A little bit more expensive then the Wested but money well spent.