• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Were all issued N-3 series parkas nylon?

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
Miles, the cotton shell was introduced in 1968, with the first 6279H spec.

The 1972 Skyline contract was issued with the camo lining, and it was as described in the Buzz text.

Thanks. I much prefer the cloth ones and love that Buzz one with the camo lining...but maybe not at that price! I guess camo lined originals are rare?

How many different companies made the cotton N-3B's and when did production end, or are they still being issued?

asiamiles

Peter Graham said:
I wonder what the idea of the camo lining is, surely the jackets aren't reversable ?

From BR's description it seems they had a lot of surplus camo fabric, but I do wonder if the idea was that they could be worn inside-out if the necessity arrived.

watchmanjimg

I don't think the camo-lined versions are terribly rare, but they're not exactly common either. Like the Buzz repro, the originals I've seen are dated 1972.

The explanation given by Buzz Rickson as to the reason behind the use of camo lining fabric makes the most sense to me. To my knowledge that particular fabric was only used to make helmet covers, but the Vietnam ground war was winding down by 1972 and I'm not sure the demand was as great as expected. As it happened the ERDL-pattern helmet cover was never as widely issued as the earlier Mitchell pattern, which continued to be worn by some units until as late as the 1980s when it was replaced by woodland-pattern covers to match the BDU. If you look closely, you'll also see that the camo lining fabric is inside out. All of the foregoing argues against any notion of a reversible parka in my opinion. It appears obvious that the excess camo fabric was the result of an overrun.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
How many different companies made the cotton N-3B's and when did production end, or are they still being issued?

They are stil being issued ...

2003-12-09 Revision M MIL-DTL-6279
1993-01-15 Revision L
1987-03-15 Revision K
1978-06-26 Revision J, MIL-P-6279
1965-12-01 Revision H Amendment 1
1965-11-15 Revision H, MIL-J-6279
Revision G
Revision F
Revision E
Revision D
Revision C
Revision B
Revision A
Base Document

Atticus

deeb7 said:

David, my F-model's shell seems to be made of cotton warp. Am I missing something?

wisconsin177.jpg

AF

watchmanjimg

Atticus said:
deeb7 said:

David, my F-model's shell seems to be made of cotton warp. Am I missing something?

wisconsin177.jpg

AF

Geoff, I don't think you're missing a thing. Clearly the cotton-blend shell was introduced prior to 1968, and under the nomenclature of "N-3B Modified" at that. It would seem the modification is the use of fabric other than 100% nylon, but I can't say for sure.

I'd say this is another good reason to view the recognized treatises on flight jackets as advisory rather than binding authorities on the subject.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Atticus said:

Geoff ... as Jim points out, your N-3B is a nylon/cotton blend.

Some of the 1960's Southern Athletic parkas were nylon, others were nylon/cotton, sometimes within the same contract.

asiamiles

Excellent info. What about the transition from real to fake fur (the thing I really dislike about my Avirex...better to just remove it and have no fur)?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Miles ... through the 1951-1952 period, Full Gear notes synthetic trim fur, or synthetic or real trim fur, after several of the N-2A contracts.

C.H. Masland & Sons, and Frauhauf SW. Garment Co. are also distinguished by their fading knits.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
Miles ... through the 1951-1952 period, Full Gear notes synthetic trim fur, or synthetic or real trim fur, after several of the N-2A contracts.

So after that date you could get either real or faux depending on the maker?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
So after that date you could get either real or faux depending on the maker?

Well certainly during that time ... the book has no notes concerning fur trim for the N-3B series.

Weasel_Loader

Well, 1972 was the last year for real fur on N-2B/N-3Bs.

I'd love to own a N-2A with the real fur. Not many contract offered them for some reason. You can see quite a few of them in the movie Strategic Air Command when o'l Jimmy crashes his B-36 on Greenland. Even more rare are the versions with the reddish mouton left over from N-2 and N-3 on the inside hoods of the A series parkas. Even better is that most of these odd contracts came with "Crown" zippers! ;)

Paden

Does anybody know, who is the today manufactur of a N3b Parka?
When I google, I found only Alpha.

asiamiles

It seems Buzz decided to reverse the materials themselves on this United Carr parka...shame about faux fur around the hood.

uccamo.jpg