• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Werber.

Recent pick-up. It's seal, not re-dyed, but the underside of the right pocket flap and the underside of the collar are russet. Pretty fair shape, only real flaw being a small slice on the back panel of the right sleeve. No ventilation eyelets. Fits like a 38.

DSC05217.jpg

DSC05231.jpg

DSC05218.jpg

DSC05230.jpg

DSC05227.jpg

DSC05228.jpg

DSC05229.jpg

DSC05219.jpg

DSC05220.jpg

DSC05221.jpg

DSC05222.jpg

DSC05223.jpg

DSC05224.jpg

DSC05225.jpg

DSC05226.jpg

DSC05232.jpg

bfrench

Administrator
Miles_Archer said:
Recent pick-up. It's seal, not re-dyed, but the underside of the right pocket flap and the underside of the collar are russet. Pretty fair shape, only real flaw being a small slice on the back panel of the right sleeve. No ventilation eyelets. Fits like a 38.

Hi, Miles,

Fantastic find and even fits too.

Amazing mix of smooth and wrinkled skins.

Surprising how the under side of the collars and pockets can give such a close approximation of the original color of the jacket even though there is still a little fading under the collar and pocket flaps.

Again great find and thanks for sharing.

Bill French

TankBuster

Super tough to find. Great jacket. Man, I wish I could wear a 38!!
Wartime 44's only work for this guy, which makes it tough!

bseal

Would you be so kind as to educate me, as it is not a redye, any logical rationale for the variance in hide color? Is it as simple as some jackets were made with whatever leather was available?

Roughwear

Congratulations Miles, an amazing find! Do you have any idea of the size of the 1939 fiscal year Werber order?

Falcon_52

What a beauty! I have a huge soft spot for Werber jackets - your pictures made my day! Thanks for sharing and congratulations on finding a rare jacket. There can't be too many of these floating around out there...

Regards,

Noel

bseal said:
Would you be so kind as to educate me, as it is not a redye, any logical rationale for the variance in hide color? Is it as simple as some jackets were made with whatever leather was available?
I think you basically answered your own question. You'd never find such mismatched-colored hides on a civilian jacket.

Roughwear

Miles_Archer said:
Roughwear said:
Congratulations Miles, an amazing find! Do you have any idea of the size of the 1939 fiscal year Werber order?

f*cked if I know. Nothing in FULL GEAR?

Full Gear does not give the numbers produced. Swing might have an idea. Anyway its a great ultra rare jacket. Well done to find it Miles.

Swing

Roughwear said:
Miles_Archer said:
Roughwear said:

f*cked if I know. Nothing in FULL GEAR?

Full Gear does not give the numbers produced. Swing might have an idea. Anyway its a great ultra rare jacket. Well done to find it Miles.

According to this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... _Air_Corps

the AAC was only 22,387 men in 1939, and 800 airplanes. I can't imagine that contract being much bigger than a couple thousand jackets, if that. There were 7 known A-2 contracts before the one in question, so the AAC should have had at least 3500 A-2s already on hand. With contracts 16159 (RW) and 16160 (Aero) in 1940 there probably was quite an increase in the size of the A-2 contracts. There certainly was a big increase by the time 18091 rolled along, and I've been told that 21996 was for 50,000 jackets.

Outstanding jacket Miles!

~Swing

zoomer

Keep in mind as well that enlisted aircrew were not issued A-2s prewar - and there were more pilots than needed to crew so few planes (even as bombardiers and navigators, who all had pilot wings). So the number of men authorized to wear the A-2 was exponentially smaller.

Not to tell tales out of school here, but the contract number is 39-2951P.