• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well what do you know?

MikeyB-17

There I was, was reading the AVI thread, as you do. Folk were arguing that there was no reason to buy a repro G-1 when originals can be picked up for peanuts. I was about to ask where everyone was finding these cheap G-1’s, because for years I haven’t seen a mouton-collared, black label G-1 for less than £200, usually more, despite regular trawls of the ‘Bay. Before I did, though, I decided to have another look. What was the first thing I saw? This.
It was one of those ‘I can’t really afford this, but this is one of those damn the torpedoes, strike while the iron’s hot’ moments. Hopefully the temporary lack of funds will eventually be forgotten, but the jacket will still be here. I haven’t seen a ’Nam era G-1 for this sort of money for I don’t know how long, much less a stencilled-collar Korean era job. Hoping I might be able to save the collar, probably replacement zip, otherwise looks fairly reasonable. Watch this space!

MikeyB-17

Dunno Dave, I looked at Byson, who charge about £70 to supply and fit a mouton collar. If Aero can fit it in I’d prefer to use them-might have to wait a while though. Of course, it’s got to fit, and if it doesn’t it will be on here.

B-Man2

There I was, was reading the AVI thread, as you do. Folk were arguing that there was no reason to buy a repro G-1 when originals can be picked up for peanuts. I was about to ask where everyone was finding these cheap G-1’s, because for years I haven’t seen a mouton-collared, black label G-1 for less than £200, usually more, despite regular trawls of the ‘Bay. Before I did, though, I decided to have another look. What was the first thing I saw? This.
It was one of those ‘I can’t really afford this, but this is one of those damn the torpedoes, strike while the iron’s hot’ moments. Hopefully the temporary lack of funds will eventually be forgotten, but the jacket will still be here. I haven’t seen a ’Nam era G-1 for this sort of money for I don’t know how long, much less a stencilled-collar Korean era job. Hoping I might be able to save the collar, probably replacement zip, otherwise looks fairly reasonable. Watch this space!
Outstanding find Mikey . And a pretty rare bird at that . You just don’t see many G-1s around these days at those prices .
Great score mate !
I have to admit that while I’m chomping at the bit to say to everyone “ I told you so” I will absolutely refrain from doing that;)

Last edited:

MikeyB-17

Great score @MikeyB-17 ! That’s quite a desirable jacket in a size 42, most of these that turn up are smaller sizes. For the mouton repairs I’ve used Ben at Hangup Vintage in London, he’s a real good guy and did a superb job on one of my Cagleco G-1s.

Aaah, thanks for that, I wasn’t aware of that chap, we’re a bit short of decent jacket repairers in the UK, so that’s invaluable. I’ve used Aero before, but they’re so busy that repairs have taken months to turn around. Never used Byson, but by their own admission they are more repairers than restorers. I will be speaking to Hang Up.

Outstanding find Mikey . And a pretty rare bird at that . You just don’t see many G-1s around these days at those prices .

Tell me about it Burt! I’ve trawled Ebay for another G-1 on a regular basis for a long time, and I haven’t seen a decent black label job at this price for years, much less an early one like this. My last one was a ‘63 Irvin B. Foster for about £80, but that was a good ten years ago. This one will probably be the oldest jacket I personally have ever owned-I had a 7823 (AER) years ago, but it was an L.W. Foster and a slightly later contract. They’re still out there!

917_k

You just don’t see many G-1s around these days at those prices .

you’ve got to be a bit committed to trawling eBay and creative with your search criteria, but they are out there. I’ve got 9 ‘G-1s’ and never paid more than £150 for them; latest find is an M422a which I paid $106 for. Granted some of them are a bit worn, but as long as the leather is good cuffs & collars can be easily repaired.

B-Man2

Totally agree with you 917. They are still out there but like most good things in life, you have to work for it.
By that I mean you have to be on the hunt for one continuously. Particularly if your a larger sized guy, say 46,48,or 50.
A size 50 is just about impossible to find, but 46s and 48s are still out there. For my money I would rather have an original than to pay out the Ying Yang for a repro for all of the reasons we've already discussed.

Smithy

Aaah, thanks for that, I wasn’t aware of that chap, we’re a bit short of decent jacket repairers in the UK, so that’s invaluable. I’ve used Aero before, but they’re so busy that repairs have taken months to turn around. Never used Byson, but by their own admission they are more repairers than restorers. I will be speaking to Hang Up.

Mikey, there's also Donna Howard. She used to make flying jackets for Cirrus and I know Brett has used her and highly recommends her work:

[email protected]

I know Brett has also used and wasn't entirely impressed with Byson.

MaydayWei

you’ve got to be a bit committed to trawling eBay and creative with your search criteria, but they are out there. I’ve got 9 ‘G-1s’ and never paid more than £150 for them; latest find is an M422a which I paid $106 for. Granted some of them are a bit worn, but as long as the leather is good cuffs & collars can be easily repaired.

You make a very good point about the commitment and creativity.
I, for one, have come up with a few tricks myself to make the trawling both more efficient and proficient.
I was wondering if we would all be willing to contribute to a thread in which we share eBay tips to help each other out?
Or, should we keep such secrets to ourselves?

Smithy

Cheers Smithy me old fruit. It’s nice to know we have a few more options these days.

No worries Mikey. I know Brett has spoken very highly of Donna and I know another chap (from the Hat Place) who has used her as well and thought she was excellent.

917_k

You make a very good point about the commitment and creativity.
I, for one, have come up with a few tricks myself to make the trawling both more efficient and proficient.
I was wondering if we would all be willing to contribute to a thread in which we share eBay tips to help each other out?
Or, should we keep such secrets to ourselves?

it’s a tricky one ain’t it?! A bit like the forum on here for sharing auction listings, I’ll share something if it’s of zero interest to me, but I wouldn’t want to alert others to something I’m intending to buy, particularly if it looks like I’m going to bag a bargain (poor eBay listing description etc).

Beyond searching for stuff like ‘vintage jacket’ or ‘old flying coat’ I find it’s often just luck. I’d have probably bought the G-1 that’s the subject of this thread had I seen it, but had a busy morning and didn’t look on eBay. Generally the lucky finds are the buy it now listings, or those with ‘make an offer’, where you can get in there quick before anyone else. The M422a I mentioned above was a listing with the ‘best offer’ option, I saw it within a few minutes of the listing going up, stuck in an offer and got lucky. I suspect that had the jacket Mikey bought been an auction listing over 6 days others would have found it and it might have sold for a little more (recent Caglecos have gone for £150+).