• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

We Were In Fashion...More Or Less

Ian C

I just think it's sad that some poor animal died and gave up its hide to produce that crap.
Next season it'll be old hat and discarded.
I always thought the war-cry from the fashion industry that they designed clothes and they filtered down to the high street. It seems to me however that they just shamelessly bastardize youth cults, military/work wear etc in order to justify their own pointless, superficial existence.
The only time they do have an original idea is when it's some horror that you wouldn't dress your worst enemy in. It's just an endless repetition of The Emporers New Clothes.

Rant over, :)

Ian

Marv

Ian C said:
I just think it's sad that some poor animal died and gave up its hide to produce that crap.
I always thought the war-cry from the fashion industry that they designed clothes and they filtered down to the high street. It seems to me however that they just shamelessly bastardize youth cults, military/work wear etc in order to justify their own pointless, superficial existence.
The only time they do have an original idea is when it's some horror that you wouldn't dress your worst enemy in. It's just an endless repetition of The Emporers New Clothes.

Ian

Couldn't have said it better myself Ian..........

colekwok

Marv said:
Ian C said:

Ian

Couldn't have said it better myself Ian..........

I agree.

I once took part in a huge debate on a Taiwanese website about designer jackets and original/repro flight jackets. You just simply argue with those fashion people anyway. The good thing is, while we are happily wearing our good old jackets and for the years to come, those people will just chuck their bloody expensive Gucci/Parda/D&G whatever.... jackets into the bins after one or two seasons. :twisted:

rich

There's no accounting for taste.

I just finished reading The Score, a Parker novel by Richard Stark, and this line caught my eye.................

"he'd been dressed like a bum, in work pants and a brown leather jacket, and wore on his face the gray, pinched look of the loser."

I resemble that remark! :D

dmar836

"I just think it's sad that some poor animal died and gave up its hide to produce that crap."

LOL. Quote of 2011.

Anyone with a family photo in front of a Tiger Tank likely has more wisdom to share!

Dave

CHECK6

FASHION SUCKS!!!!! we have "STYLE" that's for ever,they have "fashion craps"it's just for a season.
HAVE A BANDIT DAY!!!!!!
FAB

442RCT

Personally, I don't care what others wear or how they spend their money. If they want to buy designer fashions...well, who does it harm ? If they want to wear clothes with the labels facing out and they think they look kool...the only people who care are others who are wearing the same labels.
I wear what I wear and others wear what they wear...no point in ranting...well, unless your wife or kids want you to buy the overpriced clothes. (Neither my wife or sons ever cared about designer fashion. The oldest boys favorite clothes were cammies, now he wears it to work. :lol: )

dujardin

CHECK6 said:
FASHION SUCKS!!!!! we have "STYLE" that's for ever,they have "fashion craps"it's just for a season.
HAVE A BANDIT DAY!!!!!!
FAB

well said

more than a style...... a way of life :lol:

bseal

OMG, they got Derek Zoolander to model ?!

sheepskin-bomber-jackets-menswear-trend-2010.jpg

capt71

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just visited the site linked above.

Imagine for a moment if you will the story attached to the photos:
"These brave boys are on the way to their fighters or bombers to strike at the enemy. They wear the latest in military fashion gear as they climb into their pink P-51s, sequined B-17s, and Gucci-fitted B-24s. Soon they will be engaged in "savage" aerial combat : scratching the eyes out of the Nazi and Imperial war machines, slapping enemy pilots' faces. Enemy fighters flee in panic! Enemy ships hide! Enemy ground troops cower in their fox holes, foreign governments tremble at their approach.... But our boys also suffer losses: broken nails, mussed hair do's, running of mascara...."

I see a movie here.

Bill :D

Ian C

Without sounding like I'm going off on one again, I've never understood the point of dicking around with a design classic- 501's, Flying jackets, etc, it seems every no-mark who's scared of getting a proper job comes along and thinks they can improve on the originals. Maybe there's no kudos in blatant copying so far better to plagarise it with a few tassels, braid etc. Don't forget to add a few genuine design patches borrowed from people who's idea of sacrifice consisted of a bit more than being unable to fit your chihuahua in your new handbag and you're ready to roll.
I wish they'd just p*ss off and find their own style.
Pathetic
Ian

Jaguar46

I don't get something. The article is dated March 2011, yet states the fashion is for fall 2010. Anyone who knows fashion, knows Fall 2010 was being planned in 2009. So now 2010 is old hat. They are already selling the fall 2011 designs to retailers. What is the most current fashion coming out? Designer Repro Members Only Jackets?

colekwok

Jaguar46 said:
I don't get something. The article is dated March 2011, yet states the fashion is for fall 2010. Anyone who knows fashion, knows Fall 2010 was being planned in 2009. So now 2010 is old hat. They are already selling the fall 2011 designs to retailers. What is the most current fashion coming out? Designer Repro Members Only Jackets?

I've also noticed that, it's a bit odd, isn't it? :roll:

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Jaguar46 said:
I don't get something. The article is dated March 2011, yet states the fashion is for fall 2010.

Mens Fall 2010 Trend: Jackets Take Flight
January 19, 2010

The article is well over a year old ... wasn't it, or something similar, discussed on the hat forum months ago?

bfrench

Administrator
rich said:
There's no accounting for taste.

I just finished reading The Score, a Parker novel by Richard Stark, and this line caught my eye.................

"he'd been dressed like a bum, in work pants and a brown leather jacket, and wore on his face the gray, pinched look of the loser."

I resemble that remark! :D

SOB!!!!!! - That's me they're talking about and that's how I look on a good day - don't even ask about the bad ones

rich

bfrench said:
SOB!!!!!! - That's me they're talking about and that's how I look on a good day - don't even ask about the bad ones

You're in good company though, here's another guy in a brown leather jacket.

A2.jpg

442RCT

capt71 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just visited the site linked above.

Imagine for a moment if you will the story attached to the photos:
"These brave boys are on the way to their fighters or bombers to strike at the enemy. They wear the latest in military fashion gear as they climb into their pink P-51s, sequined B-17s, and Gucci-fitted B-24s....."

I see a movie here.

Bill :D

Bill, Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. :shock:
There were camo patterns in WW1 and WW2 that today would seem to be in the realm of the designer paint schemes you're proposing.

Razzle Dazzle Camo for instance - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_camouflage
Dazzle camouflage, also known as Razzle Dazzle or Dazzle painting, was a camouflage paint scheme used on ships, extensively during World War I and to a lesser extent in World War II. Credited to artist Norman Wilkinson, it consisted of a complex pattern of geometric shapes in contrasting colours, interrupting and intersecting each other.
dazzle1-600.jpg

673.jpg

As for pink P-51s ? There may have been some in North Africa in WW2, but there was at least one pink B-24 bomber. A B-24 with the 47th Bomb Wing, 376th Bomb Group (H), was painted pink and named the 'Strawberry Bitch'
“Strawberry Bitch” participated in some of the most famous raids of the war, most notably the daring and dramatic low-level raid on the oil fields at Ploesti, Rumania on 1 August 1943. As the war progressed, her Group was moved to Foggia, Italy, from which it participated in the war until its conclusion, including support for Operation Overlord on 6 June 1944.
She is now restored (non-flyable) at the Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Dayton, Ohio.
oh-air-force-0608.jpg

Don't forget about the Red Baron and his Flying Circus...they were called that because of the bold paint schemes on their planes. ;)