• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watches to wear with your flight jackets...

herk115

I'm wearing an off-the-shelf Casio G-Shock, which is what I wear each day every day. It's what the USAF issues now (at least they were fifteen years ago when I bought it). Solar powered, self-setting, keeps excellent time. Haven't had a need for anything else, though I bought a spare about a year ago in case i need it. Just for grins I bought a Casio MRW-200H with actual hands and a calendar feature, but there's noting special about it. I just wanted it. I still have the Adanac the Air Force issued me back in the 1980s, but it eats batteries and keeps terrible time. Never wear it. To be honest, I don't really care which watch I wear with my A-2 or G-1. A while back I'd asked a friend to take my picture in a newly acquired A-2. He peered through the viewfinder, then lowered the camera. "Look," he said, "The jacket looks great but the digital watch and the cell phone just ruin it." (This was back when we all carried cell phones on our belts.)
Being an Apollo space buff, I'd love one of those Speedies, but they're probably way out of my price range.

Pilot

Hello B-Man2,

i think i have to provide additional info, because my description could be missleading.

the watch is not made from steal from an WW2 Uboat or steel that has been broken off or reforged from an submarine.

It is made of the steel that is used to make the Type U212 Submarines, but the steel from my watch has not been part of a submarine. I think because of this the watch is called U212.
Thanks for bringing this up and Sinn makes great and very reliable watches…
The definition U-Boat Steel is a pure marketing gag and does not mean anything since it has no engineering nor technological meaning nor definition as such.
The Sinn divers are mostly made out of an AISI 316L steel with added Nickel…
This marketing gag has been largely discussed in specialized forums such as the one bebow.
If you call Sinn and ask for an accurate “ chemical steel definition of the Sinn U-Boot Stahl “ you will not receive any clear information at all.. ( I tried ).
Surely plenty of other forums where “ Sinn U-Boot Stahl “ was debated…
…here is one…( Google translator can assist ).

NoCypher

Hello Pilot,

i have not yet heard of this discussion.
It might be a as you say a "marketing gag" ....but that does not make the watch any worse in my book, i have not bought it because of this feature but rather the style and quality of it. It is my first real watch so i cant tell if its better or worse that other watches....

i understand what you want to say with this i think.....there is a market for stuff that people think has a unique history...like a piece of the berlin wall which was just a chunk of concrete...but people pay for it because of its history....without having a chance to know if it is "real".

i have no way of testing the steel if it is uboat worthy if that makes sense.

I have read the the Post in the " Uhr Forum" - it boils down to this:

the watch is made of the same Steel that the U212 Class submarines are made of one guy testet this with an device that tests Steel via röntgen. it is indeed the steel that sinn claims it is made of. ( 1.3964 oder X2CrNiMnMoNNb21-16-5-3 )

what was commented on was also that having this more expensive steel does not have an postiv effect on the watch....

"normal" steel is also seawater proof so there is no real benefit in this...the steel has a slightly other composition which makes the steel look more greyish.

Last edited:

M. from Berlin

East german army diver watch made by Ruhla late 50s!

Attachments

• IMG_6452.jpeg
    IMG_6452.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 102

JonnyCrow

New buy today, its a Parnis flieger with seagull movement, I have had a Parnis for a few years, mechanical again, gmt model, this looks just as good

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230731_195230_Wallapop~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230731_195230_Wallapop~2.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot_20230731_195224_Wallapop~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230731_195224_Wallapop~2.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_20230731_195218_Wallapop~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230731_195218_Wallapop~2.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 74

coolhandluke

New buy today, its a Parnis flieger with seagull movement, I have had a Parnis for a few years, mechanical again, gmt model, this looks just as good

Very nice Jonny. I'm assuming that the Seagull movement is a Chinese copy of the ETA Unitas 6498-1. I have that ETA in a Steinhart Nav B-Uhr and it is one of my favorite movements that I have ever owned. Below is a photo of the Steinhart on a vintage OD canvas strap from Dan at RedRockStraps.

xhxVp2F.jpeg

ZdkQXji.jpeg

20230722_084523.jpg

JonnyCrow

Flash Badger

Thanks.. not easy since no AF N# on the case…
But yes looks like an early one even with its high serial N#.
Note the AF 52 or AF 56 serial N# would mean a Contract for 1952 or 1956… so here its a 51 or early 52… but not later.
Great watch , congrats!
Thanks for the info Pilot, very helpful.