• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

W&G M-445

Jaydee

I got this jacket recently. Some of the details are really close to the original M-445 I had. Some are not.

The general overall pattern seems correct and the size is surprisingly right on. It fits just like the original 40. The collar size and shape are correct, and so are the pockets. The buckles and straps are pretty much exactly like the originals. The label is a very good reproduction and has the correct contract #. The Crown zip slider I installed, it had a paperclip Scovill zip.

The main item that is not correct is the hide surface on the body of the jacket. It has a dull surface that does not match the pockets or sleeve patches in color, or sheen.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears to Nubuck Leather.

The shearling is really nice and the jacket is mint, so the question for the leather experts is:

Do I try and redye the body darker and possibly apply an acrylic topcoat made for leather? Or do you think the chemicals would soak through and wick into the shearling?

Is this a viable project or should I just leave it alone?
Thanks -JD

P1010220-1.jpg

P1010216-1.jpg

P1010217-1.jpg

P1010226-1.jpg

P1010215-1.jpg

Falcon_52

I like it the way it is. If it's like my W&G M-444 repro, the dye on the sheepskin is probably starting to fade a bit. My seal brown color is actually starting to turn into a dark reddish brown in some areas.

You might try a light (very light) coating of Pecard's Leather Dressing or Mink Oil on the sheepskin and then buff it with a terry cloth. That should give a bit more sheen to the sheepskin parts.

Noel

zoomer

Amazing...I had exactly the same deal with my US-Authentic AN-J-4. The sheep's finish went nubuck, apparently after a previous owner treated it with a fish oil product meant for horse tack. (Didn't hurt the gloss of the goatskin components at all.)

I know US-A subcontracted for W&G. Maybe something was flooky with their dyes?

Jaydee

Yeah, I thought of you Zoomer when I got this one. Luckily it appears that no conditioners or oils have ever been used on this jacket. I may try some Pecard, if no one has had bad results with using it on this type of hide.

I already thought about using it because it seems like it may work on the suface. The surface is more like a smooth spungie surface, rather than a rough Suade surface. My only concern is that I apply pecard and the shine does not last long. Then I would have the same issue, but would be reluctant to use more pecard and gunk up the jacket with too much soaking in.

Jaydee

Falcon_52 said:
I like it the way it is. If it's like my W&G M-444 repro, the dye on the sheepskin is probably starting to fade a bit. My seal brown color is actually starting to turn into a dark reddish brown in some areas.

You might try a light (very light) coating of Pecard's Leather Dressing or Mink Oil on the sheepskin and then buff it with a terry cloth. That should give a bit more sheen to the sheepskin parts.

Noel

It's not Nubuck!

Yeah I think you are right. I tried a bit of Pecard in a hidden area of the jacket and after 8 hours of conditioning, it turned out nice . I have proceeded onto the front now and will post photos when the jacket is complete.

Thanks -JD

airfrogusmc

zoomer said:
Amazing...I had exactly the same deal with my US-Authentic AN-J-4. The sheep's finish went nubuck, apparently after a previous owner treated it with a fish oil product meant for horse tack. (Didn't hurt the gloss of the goatskin components at all.)

I know US-A subcontracted for W&G. Maybe something was flooky with their dyes?

Little of topic but I just picked up a custom made M 445 from US Authentic and its outstanding. Perfect fit. I actually thought about getting an NOS Talon but I thought about it and decided it wasn't that important to me I had them do the 2 buttons, its a real beauty. I'll get some photos soon.

I had one of W&Gs M 444s and ALWAYS regretted selling it. USA made that jacket. Love'n this new M-445. Its as well made as any sheepskin I've owned.

How do you like your ANJ4 zoom?