• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Roughwear A2 on display at Ft. Rucker

Hobbstc

Hey guys. As some of you know, I'm in flight school at Ft Rucker. They have this A2 on display behind glass. Grabbed a couple of quick snaps with the iPhone. Hope you enjoy!

rucker1.jpg

rucker2.jpg

rucker3.jpg

dmar836

Wow. Great grain there. Is that the Korean patch or WWII? Ray posted pics of his A2 a while back and the discussion grew from there. IIRC that was Korean era. Is there a placard?
Dave

dmar836

Well, with the Korean flag on the back I think it's pretty assured. Guess I got stucdk on the patch.
Thanks for posting this.
Dave

unclegrumpy

The patch is for a WW II Liaison L 4 Grasshopper unit. These guys worked as artillery observers and forward air controllers. I have seen an embroidered just post WW II version of this patch, but the mountains in the background were less pronounced.

Interestedly, after the Air Force split from the Army, the Liaison pilots stayed, and became the beginning of modern Army Aviation. Given that, it makes sense that Ft Rutger would have this jacket in their museum. It would be neat to have the writing translated on the back....I bet it would add to the story.

Roughwear

Marcel, this RW 18091 is a great looking jacket, but as a size 40 it may just be a bit small for you even if you break the glass! :lol: